Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We're not buying apples at the store.
If we were I'd give you a $10 and tell you to get some already.
We are buying an automobile, one of life's major expenses.
It is a serious decision that should not be taken lightly.

Among the research involved you'll need to find out how much insurance is going to cost you.
Just for example, insurance on an F-350 is likely going to be higher than on an F-250.
At your age, commercially, we're looking at well north of a thousand dollars a year.
That is why this type of research is important.
A per-mile cost might narrow it down, but you have to know upfront what you're getting yourself into, guaranteed a vehicle costs three to four times more than just the fuel that goes in the tank, then it will need maintenance.
All these things you need to consider and be full and well aware of, long before you buy it.

More than a few people do not understand how to valuate a used vehicle, many more seem to think that it involves haggling regardless of the sticker price. Most used vehicles for sale are overpriced, and a long ways too, this hasn't changed and likely never will.
Some even think it costs more today than it did when they bought it new.

These are all people from whom I would not buy a vehicle.
Why, because I don't purchase items from folks who don't know what they are selling.

Fact is there exist so many used vehicles on the market.
The easiest way to ascertain the vehicle is to take an honest approach to the vehicle's condition, and take down all pertinent information, then plug the information in to a Blue Book price calculator and there you will have the price you are looking for.
The Blue Book price of a vehicle is what the vehicle is worth, assuming all is exactly as described.
It's not what the seller thinks or whether it's red or look how pretty it shines, cars are tools.
An automobile is worth what the Blue Book value of the vehicle states it is.
Some vehicles for sale have the actual Blue Book price on the sticker.
Very few do, most are anywhere from slightly to severely over priced.
But those few that are out there, bring cash, all of it.
Don't haggle with people asking for the right price.
You can try and get a little off, but bring ALL the asking money.
Assuming the test drive and all of that ascertains there aren't any major defects...
If you purchase a vehicle that fits the Blue Book value, at least you're getting what it's worth.
It is a smart purchase, an automobile is ultimately a tool.

Last edited by herler; 01-19-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
We're not buying apples at the store.
If we were I'd give you a $10 and tell you to get some already.
We are buying an automobile, one of life's major expenses.
It is a serious decision that should not be taken lightly.

Among the research involved you'll need to find out how much insurance is going to cost you.
Just for example, insurance on an F-350 is likely going to be higher than on an F-250.
At your age, commercially, we're looking at well north of a thousand dollars a year.
That is why this type of research is important.
A per-mile cost might narrow it down, but you have to know upfront what you're getting yourself into, guaranteed a vehicle costs three to four times more than just the fuel that goes in the tank, then it will need maintenance.
All these things you need to consider and be full and well aware of, long before you buy it.

More than a few people do not understand how to valuate a used vehicle, many more seem to think that it involves haggling regardless of the sticker price. Most used vehicles for sale are overpriced, and a long ways too, this hasn't changed and likely never will.
Some even think it costs more today than it did when they bought it new.

These are all people from whom I would not buy a vehicle.
Why, because I don't purchase items from folks who don't know what they are selling.

Fact is there exist so many used vehicles on the market.
The easiest way to ascertain the vehicle is to take an honest approach to the vehicle's condition, and take down all pertinent information, then plug the information in to a Blue Book price calculator and there you will have the price you are looking for.
The Blue Book price of a vehicle is what the vehicle is worth, assuming all is exactly as described.
It's not what the seller thinks or whether it's red or look how pretty it shines, cars are tools.
An automobile is worth what the Blue Book value of the vehicle states it is.
Some vehicles for sale have the actual Blue Book price on the sticker.
Very few do, most are anywhere from slightly to severely over priced.
But those few that are out there, bring cash, all of it.
Don't haggle with people asking for the right price.
You can try and get a little off, but bring ALL the asking money.
Assuming the test drive and all of that ascertains there aren't any major defects...
If you purchase a vehicle that fits the Blue Book value, at least you're getting what it's worth.
It is a smart purchase, an automobile is ultimately a tool.
Apparently you just glossed over my post. I provided links. Even your Blue Book price is linked in my previous post. The Blue Book price for my truck used, as it sits today, is more than I paid for it new.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Two thoughts on this...

1) A vehicle's value is exactly how much an individual is willing to pay for that vehicle. It has nothing to do with some arbitrary numbers written by people with insurance companies in mind. Insurance companies love KBB because they are the supposed "experts" in vehicle valuing. KBB also always under values just about every car in their lists. This is a huge plus for insurance companies.

2) Good luck getting me to sell my Mustang for the KBB value.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Two thoughts on this...

1) A vehicle's value is exactly how much an individual is willing to pay for that vehicle. It has nothing to do with some arbitrary numbers written by people with insurance companies in mind. Insurance companies love KBB because they are the supposed "experts" in vehicle valuing. KBB also always under values just about every car in their lists. This is a huge plus for insurance companies.

2) Good luck getting me to sell my Mustang for the KBB value.
I'll go $2k and no more. After all, it is a Ford.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Insurance for my son is more than 3 grand a year.... It's rediculous, and he only drives a rusty old dodge, not a 2013 Chevy 3500

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'll go $2k and no more. After all, it is a Ford.
Well, that's only a little less than the KBB value.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just picked up this "used" 2011. Only 6g on the odometer. Bought under retail after a month on the internet. It pays to take your time and shop, even if you gotta go out-of-state.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Buying leftover trucks saves money because dealers want to offload them. We bought our 08 350 for 30k, we get calls from the dealership wanting to buy it back for 26k because there is such a demand for used trucks.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I won't be under the insurance it'll be the company Insurance which is under my step dad you guys all had good points Im thing as of right now I might get a new 2500 gasser and use that for mowing and eventually get a 3500
Posted via Mobile Device