Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2000, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Okay, heres the moment you've all been waiting for. I bought a book from Bill Phagan and one from Phil Nillson in the past month. I waited till the last one came before I said anything about either because I don't want people to think I'm promoting one or the other. I got Phagans &quot; How to be succesful NOW with your green industry Biz&quot; and Nillson's labor time data handbook. Both get 3 thumbs up from me. I heard good and bad about both, but they were both great. Bill's book hits the comedy notes so its very easy to relate and understand the information, and it leaves a lot of room for imagination. He gives you some guidlines for all aspects of running your biz, but leaves room for your ideas, and gets you brainstorming. That would be a great book for beginners to start with. A lot of it was a review for me but I got learned some new stuff, that I said Duh, why didn't I ever think of that!!. Nillsons labor time data handbook is in a different class ( because of the content and purpose of the book, but he also has lots more titles, as does Phagan) I also found this book to be a great one. It breaks down everything you could ever think of and gives you average times for the jobs at hand. Its a great estimating tool, and lets you break a simple estimate such as mow trim and blow down into sections. Its a great help if you don't think your bringing in the profits you should. My favorite thing I noticed about the labor time guide was that there is plenty of space between the time estimates for you to include your own times, maybe that differ from the average, or on a task not mentioned, or notes you want to remember about doing a certain task. Once you get out there, check your times against the averages in the book, and throw in your own notes and $.02, you will be the master estimator!!! Well I hope this helped all you new guys out there that can't get enough reading material on our industry, but haven't made up your mind on these books yet. I hope lawnsite admin doesn't get mad but I guess I'll point you guys in the directions to find their books. Phagan has a link on top of this page(blue print on the right of the yellow bar) Nillson can be found at turfquip.com, sub-section labeled Nillson Associates, I know a lot of you have given pictures for my &quot;equipment picture page&quot; and the links for both are there also.<p><br>Happy Readin!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti