Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

New Door Hanger. Thoughts?

New door hanger for my first year doing chemicals.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Chemical Door Hanger.pdf (406.1 KB, 157 views)
48" scag wb
36" scag wb
48" kees wb
fs95 stick edger
2x fs80
2x br600
2x caliced hands
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice...however...I heard somewhere it is best to put your name and address at the bottom and put your most persuasive sales message first. Take a look at what TruGreen and Scotts are using (professionally designed). I wouldn't put a dalmation on your ad, but a beagle would be fine. A really excellent photograph showing green grass and a handsome, reliable-looking lawn tech giving advice to a really attractive-looking housewife would be a nice feature. TruGreen uses kids and dogs--you should too. Try to have your truck in the distant background.

The cost is not much different: you should use professional door hangers from one of the many printing companies that do this sort of thing. Add your custom message. Its a lot of work to hand out 1000 or 2000 door hangers--you will be exhausted at the end of the day. You might as well make it the best door hanger you can; its all about maximum response rate. You will probably walk about a mile for each new customer you sign up.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I thought about a picture or something but stayed with the black and yellow that I have used to brand myself. Including my bright yellow 18' tandem trailer as well as other fliers. I have a local printing company I use. I put out 5k door hanger at the beginning last couple springs. I got 3k of these to put out first.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Eh. You have a long way to go and a lot of things you could add or change but for a first dip into the water it will suffice. There are a fair number of people out there that recognize entry level advertising and are actually more than willing to give you a shot so use your simplistic entry level service as a sales tool.

Small hometown action. Then when you grow things will change and your ad's will get better and you learn.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

These are not my first door hangers but they are the first for chemicals. I have both general all season ones and some for leaves. All are this black and yellow design. As well as my business cards. All done professionally on a heavy card stock with high gloss. I did this because my truck is black with yellow lettering, yellow trailer, yellow shirts. I've done this to help set myself apart from the umpteen guys comin down the street. We do quality work and I want people to recognize my truck/crew on good looking properties. And when they see the black and yellow advertisement they remember seeing us. This was my original thought. Do you guys suggest moving on from this tactic. Do you guys design your own advertising pieces or do you have them designed by someone else. If not you, who? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tebletlawns; 01-17-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

What is your typical door hanger response rate? I would assume response for chemical app < lawn service.

Not trying to hate on you too hard, just giving my honest opinion. Don't take it to the heart.

Some of your sentences are run ons, it looks a little cheesy to me, your wording isn't very sophisticated either. Put address at bottom sales paragraph at top.

It is not hard to make a cheap/simplistic door hanger that gets straight to the point. Hit up the thesaurus and change some of those basic words to something a little more interesting.

Don't put anything in the coupon about must sign up for 5 applications! Some people are just scarred to death of any type contract, especially when you hit them with that on your intro! I understand you need a disclaimer and it is not beneficial to apply 1 time @ a 25% discount but, say something as, " *Certain limitations apply ask TLC Representative" The goal of hanger is to initiate first contact with potential customers! Not to have them already signed up for a deal when they might not even know what pest they have. You up sale once you get at the estimate then explain the disclaimer.

I think your idea of maintaining the black + yellow color scheme is important. It certainly has an effect on people remembering; customer picks up door hangers brain subconsciously connects the color schemes to it's memory when they saw what a nice job you did down the block.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

So you think I will get less of a response from these than my general all season one? Why is that? I will be taking all of these things into consideration when coming up with some new postcards. Thanks you guys for all your input. I plan on putting out 2.5k of these come the first of Feb. Then putting out 4k of the general ones I already come first of March. Then I want to send out 6k, newly designed, mailers. Not sure exactly when to send the third round out but I thought maybe in May after the initial spring rush dies down. Does that sounds like a good schedule?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The spring rush is when people are thinking about lawn care for the year. Advertising is heavy from Scotts, Home Depot, TruGreen and the independents...because it worked for them in the past. By May most of the potential customers have arranged lawn care or applied Scotts Turfbuilder--or other products.

You may be able to take advantage of seasonal lawn problems. Bigger companies are too cumbersome to do this. Suppose you had a brochure that stressed grub control and prevention, and the serious potential damge from grubs; suppose it came out a week or two before the best time for grub control. Use the same idea for crabgrass post emergent and summer annual weed season, (nutsedge, too).
My experience is that summer is a slow time for sales. But there is a slight uptick for the first two weeks of September--then after that everyone loses interest because they think it is too late. Try to take advantage of lawn problems that occur in certain months. Nutsedge, fungus, reseeds...only small companies that have their flyers prepared in advance can do this.

Naturally do as much as you can with your website, and referrals.