Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting things together

Wanting badly to be home to get things more in order to start cant wait to get there. So after much searching on walk behind mowers, I have decided on a brand new Hustler Trimstar 48" got it for $5150 out the door taxes and all. ( thinking this was a good price ) Thinking for now I'll start my fleet with a walk behind mower, Stihl blower and Shindawa weedeater ( Haven't decided on models yet any input?), and my other mower that is a Husqvarna 52" rider (not zero turn) which is a heavy duty mower has fab deck and designed to mower 5+ acres per day. Also undecided on a 6x12 open trailer was thinking of borrowing my brother-in-laws (he rarely uses) only needs new fenders and jack vs. speeding 1500 on an Anderson brand of the same size. Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Update decided on a Stihl FS110R trimmer and a Stihl BR 430 Blower made down payment today with mower, trimmer adn blower price came to $5908 not to bad if I may say so myself
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any lawns yet?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 AM
LawnSite Member

As of yet I have 2 one is for charity, unforntenly at the moment I'm not in the states so I have no way of getting "word" around that I'm opening the doors back up under a new name, altought I do have a few landscaping projects lined which will hopefully lead to a mowing contract. Any thought on the best way to get new clients?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You might as well ditch the 430 blower and get a 600, you'll reget it if you don't. Do you have the means to make the payments on this stuff for the next two, three or four years until the business gets going? Plus all the other stuff your going to run into.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Payments what payments lol, all equipment will be paid in full by May 1 2013 which = low overhead. So no worries of where will the payment come from this month, for me thats a plus, as far as the 430 vs 600 whats the major differance between the two?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate when people say that means low over head. What does low over head mean? Cheap prices? You already paid for it, over head is still the same as it would be had you financed it.

Go for bud, starting out with paid for equipment is the best way to start out.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

You are correct, overhead was a poor wording on my part in one in any business should know there is always overhead the lawn care side included. IE: insurance, fuel, breakdowns an so own. I also agree if one can pay for everthing starting out this is the best option becuase it will keep cost down from month to month. A good lesson I learned from a friend a long time ago just because you dont have any month payments doesn't mean you shouldn't make any. IE: make payments to your self for amount of new "whatever" put it in the bank and draw interest and when the time comes for that new whatever or a major breakdown occurs you are cover not biteing the bullet so to speak
Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
You might as well ditch the 430 blower and get a 600, you'll reget it if you don't. Do you have the means to make the payments on this stuff for the next two, three or four years until the business gets going? Plus all the other stuff your going to run into.

As far as I can see the major differnce in the two is weight 1.3 lbs, air velocity 18 mph, and price, personaly I cant justifie over a $100 dollar after taxes differnce from the br 430 to the 600 magnum
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Aside from all this going back and forth about equipment, Im starting to get several inquires about lawn service. My good friend who was in business with me before knows alot about the time it takes to mow lawns and will also be my part time help has emailed me with six possible clients that want a price. My plan was to charge $30/hr if less than 1 hour $25 ( this is just for lawn service not my labor rates for mulch and so on) this price worked for me before, but with todays industrie is this to low?