Register free!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Got a call from one of my resi customers, stating he recently met with a local arborist about some damage on some white pines. I had not seen damage on his property prior, but I have not been there in 3 months or more (since it is wintertime obviously). Arborist said could be Imprelis, and I looked back in my records and did one Imprelis app May 2011. Unbelievable, that damage is just showing up now from that, if it is indeed Imprelis damage.

At any rate I called it in and started a file. How many of you guys have seen delayed damage like this?
"Arborist said" .........hmmm. Kinda like when a vet tells a dog owner "the lawn chemicals" gave it cancer. Then you ask the vet "which products caused it".... they NEVER have an answer. Too funny.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the "so called arborist" has no clue whatsoever wtf he is doing. Imprellis damage would have shown up by now.

2 species of pines in your area are prone to micro-nutrient deficiencies (chlorosis). Eastern white pine and Jack pine. High pH soils often cause these 2 species of trees in the pine family to show poor growth, dwarfed needles, pale/yellow needles, as well as winter burn (scorched tips of needles).

DA -- I'd tell that so-called "arborist" to 'show proof'. I doubt you will here from him again. (ambulance chaser).
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
"Arborist said" .........hmmm. Kinda like when a vet tells a dog owner "the lawn chemicals" gave it cancer. Then you ask the vet "which products caused it".... they NEVER have an answer. Too funny.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the "so called arborist" has no clue whatsoever wtf he is doing. Imprellis damage would have shown up by now.

2 species of pines in your area are prone to micro-nutrient deficiencies (chlorosis). Eastern white pine and Jack pine. High pH soils often cause these 2 species of trees in the pine family to show poor growth, dwarfed needles, pale/yellow needles, as well as winter burn (scorched tips of needles).

DA -- I'd tell that so-called "arborist" to 'show proof'. I doubt you will here from him again. (ambulance chaser).
Exactly, it dosen't sound like that "arborist" knew what he was talking about. Beetles, disease's, nutrient deficiencies and plain old mechanical damage were around long before imprelis was.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys - I am not worried about this, if it *happens* to be Imprelis related, DuPont is on the hook. If its not, no one's on the hook.

Do you think it is a good idea for me to ask my customer what Arborist he spoke with, then call that guy?
My customer said that Arborist has worked with Imprelis claims in the area so he is aware of the type of damage I am afraid. But still, to just pin it on Imprelis for an app done 1 yr and 8 months ago is not real responsible.

I guess the proof is in the tree pudding. Tissue sample would show the AI in Imprelis right?
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt that much Imprelis would show up in the tissue--especially 18 months later. Perhaps Dupont has their own arborist--who probably looks with a more critical eye. Essentially, if the tree does not have the specific symptoms of Imprelis damage, the claim is bogus. I am sure their arborist will try to find an alternate explanation: drought, salt, insect borers, needle cast disease, poor soil, cold, wind, air pollution. Here is a list of the top 8 white pine problems:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...-problems.aspx
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

A soil sample near the affected trees would be more likely to show any residual Imprelis. However, winter time tip discoloration on easterns is not uncommon.

John
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Wow, the arborist took the easy way out and went right to Imprellis from 2 years ago?

I doubt its drought stress, at first glance it looks like salt damage as the tips are browning from the tip in and it is hitting the whole tree not just a branch or leader. If anything it might be too much water, we have had a pretty wet fall/early winter. I was doing my last app in November and the lawns were soggy like it was the beginning of spring.

It didnt jump out at me when I saw the small pines, it became something for me to look into when I saw the large pines with the same issue. And it is across 3 different types of soils as well, clay to loam to sandy loam.
Do you think this could be a response to salt blown in by Sandy & road salt used during the October snow storm?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are there any weeds near the tree? If so, probably no Imprelis in the soil. It degrades.
Last year I got a soil sample from a friend who had some Imprelis-killed trees...tomatoes grew in the soil just fine. Take a soil sample in a flower pot, and plant some tomato seeds in it--inside under warm conditions. Tomatoes should sprout in about a week. I am gowing tomatoes on new soil for another new weed control experiment--they are about 3 inches tall at 15 days.