Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMSLawn View Post
Cedar Lawn, I really liked the site you created. Am trying to get my own launched via wordpress. Any suggestions regarding webhost selection?
I am using godaddy for both, even though I don't really have much say if they are good or not. Right now I am happy with them. As far as help figuring out the site, go to this guys youtube videos, watch a few, and he will give you a good feel how to build a web page. I watched several of his couple hour long videos a few times each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8Wt...HsDCJQ&index=1
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylec3 View Post
I actually just made a website through wordpress about a week ago. Never have had a website in 25yrs but with having some down time this winter I decided to get the business online. (its my dads business i plan to take over in future).

Its still in the works but here it is so far.
costelloslandscaping.com

I had no experience whatsoever and just decided to take on the challenge. Learned everything online by reading and watching a few videos. Its actually pretty simple after the first time using a template with wordpress. I used hostgator.com as a host. Actually bought my domain from go daddy though.

Checked your site out! looks like you have a good start on it and i like the look you're going after. It caught my attention. Might be one of the best self done websites i've seen on here. Keep working on it, seen you didn't have any "about us" and "photos' up yet.

My main add that I didn't see a lot of on the front page was keywords. stuff as many as you can into your descriptions. this is what google and other search engines pick up on. Many times you can do this as invisible or "hidden" but it never hurts to keep plugging them in where possible. Once again, nice site and hope it pays off for you. When I looked at it, I got the feeling I was looking at a professional lawn care company.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiedmann View Post
stuff as many as you can into your descriptions. this is what google and other search engines pick up on. Many times you can do this as invisible or "hidden" but it never hurts to keep plugging them in where possible.
Sorry, Wiedmann, but this is the exact opposite of good advice.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Checked your site out! looks like you have a good start on it and i like the look you're going after. It caught my attention. Might be one of the best self done websites i've seen on here. Keep working on it, seen you didn't have any "about us" and "photos' up yet.

My main add that I didn't see a lot of on the front page was keywords. stuff as many as you can into your descriptions. this is what google and other search engines pick up on. Many times you can do this as invisible or "hidden" but it never hurts to keep plugging them in where possible. Once again, nice site and hope it pays off for you. When I looked at it, I got the feeling I was looking at a professional lawn care company.

I definitely appreciate the feedback! I still have some work to do to the site for sure. The 'about us' section should be up in the near future and I plan to start adding a bunch of photos come march when we start back up. I will probably add either a testimonial page or a rotating testimonial quote at the bottom of the page. Also want to put something on there about our customer referral program. I see exactly what you are saying about the keywords. I want to be able to add it so you dont see it on the page (meta tags i believe they are called) I have to learn a little bit more and see where I have to plug them in and what not. If you have any other tips let me know. Always looking to improve.
- Licensed Pesticide Applicator
- 8ft Boss Plow
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Sorry, Wiedmann, but this is the exact opposite of good advice.
I guess by putting tagline and loading my pages full of keywords didn't get me on first page of google in a large market.. my bad. must of been pure luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I guess by putting tagline and loading my pages full of keywords didn't get me on first page of google in a large market.. my bad. must of been pure luck!
I guess we also differ on what constitutes a "large market".

Here's the thing with your "stuffing" advice vs what you are doing in practice. You have a nice looking, well done site. Short of your hidden div text, which isn't so much stuffing as it is a regurgitation of the page content, I would wager you would likely rank well without the hidden div text. If the tactic catches up with you, you'll at least know why. If the process of getting a site ranking again, after Google pushes you in to rank purgatory, is something you're game for, I think you and your site's designer have a solid plan. I wouldn't personally recommend this strategy to people as I've been through the process of helping people climb back out of that pit. Blackhat techniques are an easy DIY effort. Regaining your losses is not.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Webstarts. I think they are the best and easy to use and design.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post

- Take the time to go through many example sites, try looking for more than what they show you in portfolio. (hint, look in the footer for same branding text on their sites, and then in google, search for that text (wrap it in quotes so it does an exact match search).

-Greg
Good advice. Can we see your website for an example? It sounds like you know what you're talking about.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Good advice. Can we see your website for an example? It sounds like you know what you're talking about.
I'll be the first to admit my website sucks, however it is not there right now for any reason other than being a site on my domain. (heck the whole thing never got published before my plans got switched around)

Until I'm cleared up on some projects that have my schedule 110% filled up, I'm not ready to spend finances on a rebranding of my site.

(plus there is the issue that I'm not a Sponsor here, and advertising my web development services is not allowed, and don't want to chance me posting a link being mistaken)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
I'll be the first to admit my website sucks, however it is not there right now for any reason other than being a site on my domain. (heck the whole thing never got published before my plans got switched around)

Until I'm cleared up on some projects that have my schedule 110% filled up, I'm not ready to spend finances on a rebranding of my site.

(plus there is the issue that I'm not a Sponsor here, and advertising my web development services is not allowed, and don't want to chance me posting a link being mistaken)
Oh yes, those pesky rules! LOL...I understand though.