Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice pics Pro-Turf! Hopefully my Falcons will put a hurtin' on the 49ers and make it to the big dance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
Thats' a sharp billboard! How has it been for you - marketing wise? Do you think it generated some new calls?

If nothing else - it really gets your name and image in front of ALOT of people!
The billboard did generate calls, but it didn't have the phone ringing off the hooks with new snow business. However it seemed like every where I went people would comment about how they had seen our billboard etc. It definitely got us noticed and maybe even helped separate us that much more from our competition in the eyes of the general public. It basically made us look bigger than we really are, which we are always trying to do. Dollar for dollar there are better places to put your advertising dollars I'm sure, but I certainly have no regrets & would most likely do it again.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
Pro Turf, everything looks incredible! It's probably already in the thread somewhere, but how in the world did you grow so quickly? How did you obtain so many accounts in a short amount of time? This is the first year I will be trying to market like crazy. Just wondered if I could get some of your insight on how to get account after account. Thanks!
Drop me a PM if you have any questions and we can talk...I don't have any secrets though...anything I would be telling you is already in the thread.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
Who does your art design and how much do you pay them?
We do a lot of our web design & marketing materials in house these days. Our office manager is very good with that stuff which helps us a lot. However a few years ago we would outsource our work to different local companies. The rates vary depending on what type of work you are getting done.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Finished!!! All 156 pages! I've also taken your advice of "figure out what you are good at...and do A LOT of it" and I have it in my signature. I saw that you had posted it multiple times throughout the course of this thread, it is an absolutely ingenious quote.
JContracting...I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the thread!

I'm glad you mentioned that quote...I say that often and still struggle to follow it at times. I will occasionally get us involved in jobs that really don't fit our typical scope of work, but I take them on anyways. When I do that I often regret it, we rarely make the margins that we should and overall it's just not worth it. It is great to follow. Many of the successful chains follow a very similar philosophy...like Five Guys Burgers...all they sell is Burgers & Fries...no salads, shakes, chicken fingers, subs, pizza etc etc...they found out what they're good & efficient at and they maximize it. There are tons of places like that. It's easy to slip into the trap of being everything to every customer that calls the office. Some people do succeed being a jack of all trades, but it doesn't work for us. Don't become that old saying...Jack of all trades, master of None.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
JContracting...I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the thread!

I'm glad you mentioned that quote...I say that often and still struggle to follow it at times. I will occasionally get us involved in jobs that really don't fit our typical scope of work, but I take them on anyways. When I do that I often regret it, we rarely make the margins that we should and overall it's just not worth it. It is great to follow. Many of the successful chains follow a very similar philosophy...like Five Guys Burgers...all they sell is Burgers & Fries...no salads, shakes, chicken fingers, subs, pizza etc etc...they found out what they're good & efficient at and they maximize it. There are tons of places like that. It's easy to slip into the trap of being everything to every customer that calls the office. Some people do succeed being a jack of all trades, but it doesn't work for us. Don't become that old saying...Jack of all trades, master of None.

That makes a lot of sense with other chains. Although I've never been to a Five Guys, I would like to try it . Being as my company is still in a start-up stage, we offer everything, with the exception of hydroseeding however if a client/prospect asks for it I'll find a way to get it done, I can easily find a subcontractor for that in the mean time. I have yet to find exactly what we're good at as a company and I firmly believe this year will be the year I'm able to figure out what my company will want to do. But maintenance will always be there, great cash flow. One thing that I really don't like (if I was to figure out that my company doesn't like doing irrigation for example) is saying to someone who calls/emails and having to say that we don't do that. However recommending them to a friend's company that may specialize and only offer irrigation services could work out. I guess I answered my own question. How did you decide what your company was good at?
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.

Last edited by JContracting; 01-20-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey proturf I have read the entire threat took me 5 hours today but well worth it ! I think sean Adams would be proud lol !! But as we talked on pm I am in your place back in 01 now ! But with more properties just not a lot of equipment ! In my area we have a company started back in 04 and they have grown really fast and he has expanded Into other cites and set up all new shop what do you think about that like going 50 miles away and making a home there as well as where you are ? Ever thought about it ? Also must say this thread is really really good I have not read this much quality material for free in a long time ! When I get to your level I hope not to be rude and be an ass to everyone I hope I stay grounded and willing to give a helping hand to any one ! Just as you have done ! This post makes me want to logo everything and give away free t shirts because I have an advantage my uncle and I have a t shirt shop as well as I do graphic design so why not use my skills !! That picture with the blowing leaves was to die for man that crisp image with the leaves stuck in motion mad skills !! One more question do you recommend using like a nation wide management company like I use fm facility maintenance they send us a lot of work to do hourly jobs and things do you ever use any one like them ?
Is it hard to gross over a million in landscaping ? How long did that take you if you don't mind me asking just would like to have something to look forward to ! (Sad face lol )
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

great thread pro turf. The equipment is awesome.
However we need to see more equip and snow removal pics.
Thanks for the great read too. It took me a bit but i got through it all.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome stuff!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another question, at what point did you purchase a compressor to do irrigation winterization? My company offers them as a service and it is a huge market here, all my maintenance clients irrigation systems are winterized by my company but I have had to find multiple subcontractors to do them and its a headache to line up many clients on the same day and specific times of day for when people are home, etc. I saw on your company facebook that you guys did over 800, how do you schedule all of them to so people are home or you'll have a garage code or whatever you need to access the controller and water shut off.
Posted via Mobile Device