Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Rookie tracking question

I know this is probably a stupid question for some, but when the clock is inside how do you ground?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I know this is probably a stupid question for some, but when the clock is inside how do you ground?
run an extension wire to earth. check your pm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what type of clock you have. Alot of clocks/timers/controllers DONT have a grounding LUG on the board or cabinet.

You only see these types of grounding requirements once you step up to commerical controllers and most all 2 wire controllers. It will have a lug specifically for tieing into for running a heavy copper ground wire and copper ground plate or rod for the unit.

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Stick a screw driver or flag in the closest flower bed.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by koster_irrigation View Post
Depends on what type of clock you have. Alot of clocks/timers/controllers DONT have a grounding LUG on the board or cabinet.

You only see these types of grounding requirements once you step up to commerical controllers and most all 2 wire controllers. It will have a lug specifically for tieing into for running a heavy copper ground wire and copper ground plate or rod for the unit.
The op is asking about setting up a locator and not bonding the controller.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep 20-30ft of extra wire in the locator box to extend the ground wire outside.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didnt read the title sorry about that.
^ Just what txirrigation said. Nothing fancy just run a single strand wire
outside and get a long screwdriver to make your ground

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am very new and have a ton to learn about irrigation. I took my Texas required course and passed my licensed irrigators test and then my son took the Texas required course and test for his tech license, but the trouble is neither really knows chit. I have taken a Tucor two wire training course and both of us would like to take a electrical troubleshooting course.

I do not even own a wire/solenoid tracking unit yet but the reason I was asking this question was about a Dr's office that called. He called and wanted to know if I had some way of locating a valve other than a stick. He was not very happy with the other irrigators that were looking for the valve with a rod when he left for lunch, then was really unhappy when he came back and they were still poking around. I got lucky and found it with my 24A in chatter mode.

Long story longer LOL

The clock was inside the building in a electrical type closet/room. I know they say to put the ground close to the wire path but that would mean putting the rod in the ground then running the wire around 30' to the side door, then down a hallway, then a right turn down another hallway and then another right turn into the room. I really do not think they would like this [tripping hazard] unless it was after hours.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I am very new and have a ton to learn about irrigation. I took my Texas required course and passed my licensed irrigators test and then my son took the Texas required course and test for his tech license, but the trouble is neither really knows chit. I have taken a Tucor two wire training course and both of us would like to take a electrical troubleshooting course.

I do not even own a wire/solenoid tracking unit yet but the reason I was asking this question was about a Dr's office that called. He called and wanted to know if I had some way of locating a valve other than a stick. He was not very happy with the other irrigators that were looking for the valve with a rod when he left for lunch, then was really unhappy when he came back and they were still poking around. I got lucky and found it with my 24A in chatter mode.

Long story longer LOL

The clock was inside the building in a electrical type closet/room. I know they say to put the ground close to the wire path but that would mean putting the rod in the ground then running the wire around 30' to the side door, then down a hallway, then a right turn down another hallway and then another right turn into the room. I really do not think they would like this [tripping hazard] unless it was after hours.
The pro-800 was designed for situations jvst like this one.

In broadcast mode the wire path can be traced. After tracing the wire path you connect into a closed loop with the valve and locate the solenoid. The transmitter stays at the clock and no earth ground is required.
Posted via Mobile Device