Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who does Perimiter Pest control?

Looking into adding perimeter pest control onto our lawn care. Who already does this? Our supplier thinks its a good add on service. We don't have to add anything for equipment. Chemical is cheep, just have to add onto our license. Just thinking about other ways to make a little extra. Thoughts?
PJ trailers
Stihl handhelds
John Deere skids
Snow Ex spreaders
Arctic sectional plows

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a moneymaker. Use Bifenthrin T/O. You can get it even cheaper from Quali-Pro.

I don't do it because I don't have the time but it's an easy sell and profitable.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do it rounds 2,3,4. Most people prepay because its cheap. Very nice margin. I wish I could just do perimeter pest control all day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
We do it rounds 2,3,4. Most people prepay because its cheap. Very nice margin. I wish I could just do perimeter pest control all day.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is some gravy thats for sure. I'm stupid for not doing it.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I am looking to do perimeter pest control also. What equipment do you use? I know some co. just use a backpack sprayer and spray 3' up the foundation & 3-5' out on the landscape.

Is a back pack enough volume or do you need to pull a hose from a skid sprayer?

Is it better to spread a granular product on the ground instead of spraying the ground/beds/plants?

Do you spray the wasp nests under the eves?

Do anybody spray the sides of homes in the fall for box elder bugs or Asian lady beetles? Do you need a skid sprayer for that? Is it a problem spraying whole side of house and getting water spots on the windows?

Thanks guys. I know I asked a lot of questions. Any info would help.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are starting to go a little past perimeter pest control into pest control when you start spraying the house and eves. Not sure about your licensing but in PA you can do perimeter treatments just by adding ornamental gardens cat 6 but to spray the house you need cat 11 and additional insurance.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have all the same questions as you GW Andy. Looking for whatever help I can get
PJ trailers
Stihl handhelds
John Deere skids
Snow Ex spreaders
Arctic sectional plows

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

General pest and perimeter pest ?
I think they are the same thing . You need a separate license for general pest control and a back pack will do if you use Temprid .

It's pretty simple
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizPestWeed View Post
General pest and perimeter pest ?
I think they are the same thing . You need a separate license for general pest control and a back pack will do if you use Temprid .

It's pretty simple
Depending on your location and pest pressure, I will disagree about the PRETTY SIMPLE for the simpleton. Once you start offering Perimeter pest control you open your self up to structural pest control and call backs when the customer gets bugs of any kind inside the house. German Roaches are real common all over the USA and can spread real easy via Pizza home delivery. They are also very hard to control in most cases. All restaurants will have roaches of some kind once and a while. Pest control of food handling areas is a big business and Eco Lab is a nation wide company that only does Hotels and Restaurants.

Bed Bugs are in the news big time and spreading all over the world due resistances to sodium blocker insecticide including DDT and Pyrethroid. Grain Beetles are part of a group of insects called Pantry Pests and I just treated my own house for them. I bought them at supermarket and they were package in pasta but spread once in my pantry.

My point being while perimeter treatment can help reduce pest pressure, BUT it is not a cure all. You might want to look real hard before you leap into a business that sounds to good to be true.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Im going to get licensed in structual pest feb 7. From talking to most of my current lawn care customers the do only perimeter and would love me to offer that service. From the research i did it seems like in wisconsin doing just a perimeter pest control makes the majority of customers happy and gives good results. Does any one in the northern regions have any advice?