Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see those cabovers

I just purchased an Isuzu NPR that I plan on turning into a mowing truck with a custom side dump. I know there is a bunch of landscape trucks floating around on here so lets see them. Attached is a picture of mine how it sits now. Box is coming off and new body will be installed before spring. I hear these trucks are very reliable and would like to know more information on them.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Izusu NPR

I was thinking of purchasing a cabover van truck like this to replace an aging pickup and open trailer. I like the large sides for billboard advertisement. We pull our loaded open trailers in the shop, now and there isn't any more room. So I could lock the van door and leave the cabover parked in the parking lot. This would save alot of shop space. It seems it would be more manueverable for the crews. They would take up less space than truck and trailer.

Disadvantages that I see: Where to dump the daily debris? Maybe debris bags. You can load your pruning clippings, tree limbs and debris in the back of pick up truck and then take them to the dump every day. Unloading mowers to fuel up. A little more time in the morning to fuel up.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same route we are going with a residential rig this year. The main reason I like this route is the fact all the equipment will stay in the box under lock and key and out of the elements and keep some of the equipment out of the shop. All of our commercial mowing crews use an open trailer with 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks which are nice because we use them all winter to plow with. If I was in a southern state or didn't plow snow I would look to move all of our trucks to something like what you are doing. Cant wait to watch this truck transform!