Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thats pretty crazy Barrett, Much respect for taking on that much at once and being successful in the process. Gives me hope for my boy and the rest of America's youth

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Landfakers. I started building my company when I was much younger but it grew leaps and bounds upon my senior year of high school and beyond.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off, Barrett Landscaping, your crazy. I am 20 as well and you are going to give yourself a heart attack if you keep it up. I hope your hockey teams are just Adult league and all during the winter months when your not working.

Back on Subject, I personally went to UD and felt that it was a waste of money for two years. I then went over to Community College for a season, but now im just saying screw it. My company more than doubled in size this off season, the 2012 season was my first season as a licensed and insured company. Before I just cut 5 neighbors and a couple relatives.

My thoughts are that if your son is really having trouble deciding, he should go to Community College for two semesters. After that if he still isn't in to it then switch over to the business.

or

Go right into the business, whether it is yours or starting his own.

-Michael

If he feels that he wants to talk to someone who has been through the past two years of college/business at the same time have him call me.

302-983-9622
if i don't pick up leave a message. I don't always answer out of state numbers.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you all for the replies... He is talking about Running and building the company by day, and going to the local community college at night either for business or something else.
I appreciate all the feedback, just reinforces my belief that this site is just full of help. Thank You

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

A full time college student only spends 15 to 18 hrs in class for 15 weeks in the fall and 15 spring.

I do not know of a landscaper starting out with 40 hours a week of steady work.

So I see no problem doing both.

As to the teacher that got hammered during the fall cleanups you hire help when you get backed up.

I would suggest a Horticulture, Landscape Design program at a local 2 year college.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A full-time student spends 15-18 hours in class a week, along with 15-18 hours studying per week.

Since his Father is already in the business he could very well be working 40 hours per week. Plus, landscapers are the busiest in the Spring and Fall when you are taking classes.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
mama says, if you ain't got nuttin nice to say, then don't say it at all.....I give the kid props for going to college and OWNING and RUNNING his own successful company. Not only is he doing it, he had the balls to give it a try. Compare him to 95% of his classmates that go to class, come home and drink and smoke reefer the rest of the day....It's hard to argue with success.

I agree. I'm at the tail end of my college career (21 & graduating in the spring w/ associate's in Hort) I went to a university right out of high school. Went for 1.5 yrs. Hated it there, the "chilling in the quad/dorm/commons/etc after class" was not for me. I ended up finding a tech college 6 miles from home that has a great hort program and I look forward to school every day. I started my company in 2011 and grew pretty slow but from about May -now It was all I did, I didn't work anywhere else for guaranteed income. Best decision I've ever made. Its very stressful a lot of the time but this year will be a big year so its worth it, my company grew 550% from yr 1 to 2. Looking to grow another 300% at least for 2013. My company is full service. Design, construction (hardscape, softscape, water features), maintenance, and snow & ice management.

For the OP, I'd say if he wants to do it, maybe find a college that offers a hort program and also take biz related classes. Originally at the university I was at I took several accounting classes on top of generals so I have a pretty good basis of running a business' financials.

I only have one class remaining before I graduate besides an online based "internship class" which I am able to use my company for, so I kinda feel like a bum going from 19 credits last semester to now 6 my one class ends at the end of March and the internship class starts in April amd ends early May.

My regrets, I didn't get my advertising out early enough in '11 and last yr I created a partnership with a now former friend and we didn't advertise, we ended after a month and a half. Got in with a house flipping Company and made decent money with spring clean ups & installs but disagreed on numerous things and it drove us apart for good. Definitely hindered focusing on my company which I should have done all along. I also wish I would have started on my own before I was 19. I've worked in the industry since I was 15 (summer jobs) but always planned on going to college for meteorology or accounting, if you would have told me in my jr yr of HS that I'd own a landscape company during my sr yr of college Id never believe you. Ha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JContracting; 01-22-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I agree. I'm at the tail end of my college career (21 & graduating in the spring w/ associate's in Hort) I went to a university right out of high school. Went for 1.5 yrs. Hated it there, the "chilling in the quad/dorm/commons/etc after class" was not for me. I ended up finding a tech college 6 miles from home that has a great hort program and I look forward to school every day. I started my company in 2011 and grew pretty slow but from about May -now It was all I did, I didn't work anywhere else for guaranteed income. Best decision I've ever made. Its very stressful a lot of the time but this year will be a big year so its worth it, my company grew 550% from yr 1 to 2. Looking to grow another 300% at least for 2013. My company is full service. Design, construction (hardscape, softscape, water features), maintenance, and snow & ice management.

For the OP, I'd say if he wants to do it, maybe find a college that offers a hort program and also take biz related classes. Originally at the university I was at I took several accounting classes on top of generals so I have a pretty good basis of running a business' financials.

I only have one class remaining before I graduate besides an online based "internship class" which I am able to use my company for, so I kinda feel like a bum going from 19 credits last semester to now 6 my one class ends at the end of March and the internship class starts in April amd ends early May.

My regrets, I didn't get my advertising out early enough in '11 and last yr I created a partnership with a now former friend and we didn't advertise, we ended after a month and a half. Got in with a house flipping Company and made decent money with spring clean ups & installs but disagreed on numerous things and it drove us apart for good. Definitely hindered focusing on my company which I should have done all along. I also wish I would have started on my own before I was 19. I've worked in the industry since I was 15 (summer jobs) but always planned on going to college for meteorology or accounting, if you would have told me in my jr yr of HS that I'd own a landscape company during my sr yr of college Id never believe you. Ha.
Posted via Mobile Device
J,

Isn't it funny how fast things change right after high school, I went straight into college as a music major for two semesters, then into the Army on an M1A1 then was selected for Drill Seargent School so did that for awhile, all that between 18-28, those were some wild years, and now I'm building a landscaping business or at least trying.Yesterday I found a local College that offers horticulture going to check it out today.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
J,

Isn't it funny how fast things change right after high school, I went straight into college as a music major for two semesters, then into the Army on an M1A1 then was selected for Drill Seargent School so did that for awhile, all that between 18-28, those were some wild years, and now I'm building a landscaping business or at least trying.Yesterday I found a local College that offers horticulture going to check it out today.
Spartanburg Community College has a great program. They have nights and online as well. I finished my associates there in horticulture, well worth it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

to all the guys on here, congrats on working hard, and doing what you need to do to grow your company and better yourselves professionally. It's a breath of fresh air to see young guys willing to work hard and make something of themselves, I love reading about peoples success stories. Hoping we all have a great year in 2013.