Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMan View Post
Yeah I know I'll be using a brush cutter head as string would just be wasting my time. By the several responses that I have already read, so....20-22 hrs is actually a pretty good estimate on how long it will take then.. And I just bought a new FS100 too dangit. Won't be able to use it b/c it won't accept a blade. I'll get a new FS110 too I reckon....may sell the 100...has less than 4 hours on it probably.

Never thought about the spraying but wouldn't that lead to erosion? I also have a pull behind mower for my ATV that I have considered using but at such a slow speed given the height of the grass, I don't think it would hold the hill going upwards, definitely not across the hill....flip over in a heartbeat.
If your going to get a brush cutter, get something thats at least 45cc! That way you can load heavy line on it for other jobs. That FS110 isnt much more than a heavy trimmer with handle bars.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You will need a larger trimmer with heavy trimmer line .155 or so will do great. I use a fixed line head for this without a guard on a FS130 but a FS250 would probably work better. BTW I have a few of these types of jobs and this has worked the best. After your first Spring trimming you may be able to get away with using the FS100rx if it will cut it fast enough for you, that's what my guy does when working on these projects. I would skip the idea of using a heavy grass blade as mine was a waste of money for what I was working in.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Sell a trimming job,then sell them a growth regulator app.
Exactly what I would do. Whack it once, then spray the growth regulator right after. This would keep it looking good for a while, rather than having to come back in few months and fight it again.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I've found the FS100RX is by far my favorite trimmer. I love the power to weight ratio and it feels balanced. I wouldn't get rid of it. Definitely get a handlebar trimmer with a blade for this job!!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get one of those weed whackers on wheels... only a few hundred dollar investment and it seems like it would pay for itself on this job... With growth and rocks and washoutsthe way you described,,, a handheld string trimmer would be odd...
The weed whacker on wheels works well in those circumstances IF you walk backwards most of the time... give it a try...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
You will need a larger trimmer with heavy trimmer line .155 or so will do great. I use a fixed line head for this without a guard on a FS130 but a FS250 would probably work better. BTW I have a few of these types of jobs and this has worked the best. After your first Spring trimming you may be able to get away with using the FS100rx if it will cut it fast enough for you, that's what my guy does when working on these projects. I would skip the idea of using a heavy grass blade as mine was a waste of money for what I was working in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I agree. I own two types of blades and they are useless. Much too time consuming to be a viable option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a hedge trimmer attachment with the articulating blade, its kinda heavy when down low, so i would invest in the handle bar setup/harness. I havent ever done a hack job that big, but fair sized ones and the hedge trimmer attachment really cleans house, and there isnt crap flying everywhere, it just cuts and falls to the ground, hope that helps, but good luck, you gonna need it for that one.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd walk away from the job. If your going to run a trimmer for that many hours wide open your going to burn it up. Additionally if it is as steep as you say and rock strewn you will end up injured. Clear cutting a slope will cause more erosion. The owner would be better off killing all the growth and planting ground cover.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
I would use a hedge trimmer attachment with the articulating blade, its kinda heavy when down low, so i would invest in the handle bar setup/harness. I havent ever done a hack job that big, but fair sized ones and the hedge trimmer attachment really cleans house, and there isnt crap flying everywhere, it just cuts and falls to the ground, hope that helps, but good luck, you gonna need it for that one.
This is a pretty good idea. I may look into buying the Kombi system to get the hedge trimmers/pole saw/edger attachments. It would be cheaper than 3 separate pieces.