Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't buy any truck with under 400 horses that didn't have a 13 speed or better tranny. I'm a little biased toward high horsepower or a long legged tranny living in the PNW, we deal with quite a bit of elevation gain. I drive a truck with 400 horses and a 10 speed, most days it's not even close to enough dragging a trailer.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That should be the perfect truck for what you want to do. I have a slightly smaller version of that truck, a 92 Kodiak. Mine has the smaller, 3116 Cat engine and a 10 spd trans. I can run up and down hills, towing a heavily loaded tandem dual gooseneck full of firewood, at 65-70 mph, with no problems. My truck, trailer, and load, are grossing about 35,000. I never have to shift out of 10th, even on long uphill grades.
The price sounds good too. I would really say that might be the deal for you now. You can always upgrade to a larger truck later if you need to.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflandscape View Post
So I Had a Deal come up today that Iím not sure I can pass up. Not what Iím in the market for, but think I my purchase just for a Stump and Boulder hauler. I have a Friend that has a 1990 GMC 8500 Tandem with 103,000 org. miles. 3126 Cat Engine 16' Bed not bent or dented at all just alittle wear in the bottom. All Aluminum Buds, New Rubber all the way around, Interior is in great condition and body is in great condition. Walking beam suspension Pintal Hitch and New Electric Tarp $9000. What to yíall think on this Truck?
That's an aweful deal run away, can I have his number so I can call and tell him what an aweful deal it is and buy it from him so no one has to get that aweful deal!
Joking aside, not a bad price but the motor is a downside. It has the same motor that is in my F650 and I can't imagine being a tandem with that motor. I get different transmission but I bet with that truck your always going to want more hp.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflandscape View Post
So I Had a Deal come up today that Iím not sure I can pass up. Not what Iím in the market for, but think I my purchase just for a Stump and Boulder hauler. I have a Friend that has a 1990 GMC 8500 Tandem with 103,000 org. miles. 3126 Cat Engine 16' Bed not bent or dented at all just alittle wear in the bottom. All Aluminum Buds, New Rubber all the way around, Interior is in great condition and body is in great condition. Walking beam suspension Pintal Hitch and New Electric Tarp $9000. What to yíall think on this Truck?
If it is a '90 then it would be a 3116 not the 3126. What is the transmission? If it's in decent shape it sounds good.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would really hesitate on a GMC truck of that vintage. My dad just sold his '89 5 yard, which ran well but he found it nearly impossible to get parts for it. GM is not providing parts support for many of the parts that are unique to heavy trucks. For example, he needed a throttle cable and ended up having to get one custom made.