Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

2008 bobcat 463 overheating

Bought a used 2008 bobcat 463 with 940 hours,
it has a Diesel kubota engine
-previous owner had replaced the radiator

its my first bobcat so not to sure whats going on

-used it three separate times for about 2 hours each time in temps ranging from -10 to -15 C weather , no issues

i went to use it again, had it running for about 30 minutes clearing snow and noticed the temp gauge was in the orange, (outside temp -12 c) immediately went to park it off the street and i throttled it down gauge instantly jumped to low green again... when i rev ed it up to move it to the garage the gauge jumped instantly again to orange.

-checked the coolant levels and they are full, checked the air filters, they seem pretty clean,the radiator is clean and no debris, oil level is good, fans are working, can feel the air flow going through the rad

the next day my dad and i started it up, just idling and within about 5 minutes the gauge went up and was reading orange and remained orange, we had an infrared thermometer to check the temp of the coolant hoses and cylinder heads, the temperatures seemed to be running at around 180 f, we disconnected the fans to see make sure they were, the engine temp would rise a bit and when we reconnected them the temp would go down based on the infrared thermometer, the gauge in the cab is however reading orange/ overheating, Not sure what is causing the problem, or if it is actually overheating

we checked for air in the coolant and no bubbles coming up in the funnel

had the machine idling and ran at full throttle for close to 20 minutes and the infrared thermometer temps remained around 180 f
when we went from full throttle to idle the temp cab gauge didn't go down

the outside air temp was -10 c

Ive been reading online and not sure if it has a cracked cylinder head, bad thermostat, bad sender or gauge, water pump?

anyone know of or have had experience with similar problems and know how to fix or troubleshoot the problem or to determine if in it is actually overheating or just a gauge issue or
WORSE CASE scenario: what are the symptoms for a cracked cylinder head without pulling the engine apart? I hope it isn't!!

any help suggestions would be appreciated