Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
love all of the trucks and work looks fantastic. How many people to do you employee in winter and summer? 6 trucks is very impressive for doing it somewhat part time for so long! Its hard to grow when you have so many other ambitions and wants! I am kinda in that boat right now! I want so many things, a house, nice clothes, cars, boats/motor toys, vacation home. I just need to keep thinking company growth and go have fun at friends cottages rather than owning my own.

I have learned that to grow a company you need two things! Good Quality Workmanship, and Money to reinvest in the company to increase productivity.

IF i may ask, what did you start to do differenly(taking the business seriously) that abled you to grow the company?

Thanks and i look forward to hearing your response,

Jason
We are very full time now.
Employees are myself and partner and one fulltime guy year round.
3 others fulltime in summer and extras if needed.
Winter is 3 of us then on a snow event is 14-17 people. 5 are subs.

I do have an addiction to spending money on toys and things I probably don't need. This is where business partner good with money comes in. I would have bankrupt the company by now. Also on personal I got sick of being broke and using credit to buy things. So I started to get smart with my money.
I purchased a house on contract for deed when I was 19. Didnt even have a job at the time. Long story short pissed away a bunch of money and gave the house back 18 months ago. I could have afforded it but it was not the write time or place. I then bought a new much nicer house for a very good deal and am much better off.
Biggest thing is I think I just grew up alot.
We do not take more money than we need an reinvest as much as possible in the company.
It always comes up but we do use credit and I am a firm believer that if I can borrow someone elses money for a small enough rate that I can make a larger return on it, it makes sense. Many will argue that but works for us.

My business partners uncle is a very high dollar accountant in the area and reviews our books bi weekly. It helps. I also bring our info to another accountant at year end for a second opinion.

I don't think there is a much better tool for a business than a good accountant.

On the same note we switched to a more business focused bank last summer and have nothing but good things to say. We were with a smaller local bank for awhile starting out, started good and went south. Moved to Wells Fargo wasn't bad but zero personal touch. You are just numbers in a computer. Then we switched this summer and it is much better. Our banker basically became a friend. If we need money for something it is a simple phone call and it's another person watching our numbers.
We are looking at purchasing property and a shop and they have been a huge help.

While I am on it a god lawyer is a must. Again it's another person to review things, help with issues, and overall just help look out for you. We now have good connections to all 3 and it's a big help.

Kind of went on a rant but good things to think about.

In terms of trucks right now we have
2010 f350
2008 f550 (just traded "my" truck 2010 f250 for it)
2005 f550
2000? Frieghtliner fl80
2005 f150
izuzu box truck (mowing truck)
Then the 06 550 we have forsale.

Other equip:
2005? 257b cat
2010 s205 bobcat (forsale)
2012 toolcat
felling deck over trailer
case maxi sneeker
and various boxes for the hook truck.
Thats all the bigger stuff anyways.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way I saw your truck in someones post on plowsite that was renting it? I think. Nice truck I like the logos and colors. Looks very clean and neat.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More work.
This is putting a driveway and walk in at my house this fall. Need to finish the walk and seating wall this spring.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is the freightliner just used or heavy hauling? Putting a hook on that too?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No hook on that. Just got it for a really good deal. Bought it in late Aug I think. It was $5600. Sold the chip box cover off the back for $800 or so then had it DOTed and brought up to par for another $700 or so. It didn't really work at all last year. Hauled some debris twice and has hauled snow twice.

Looking to possibly replace the 05 550 with something similiar to the frieghtliner but newer and nicer. Will probably be a year till that happens though.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good man! The thing that bugs me is that wall on post 5 The wall and the house totally don't go together, but the walk looks nice!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle of Oil View Post
looks good man! The thing that bugs me is that wall on post 5 The wall and the house totally don't go together, but the walk looks nice!
funny, I was going to say the same thing. Great work, nice truck and congrats on your success!

...but that wall is, um...

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
funny, I was going to say the same thing. Great work, nice truck and congrats on your success!

...but that wall is, um...
I would agree with wall contrasting the house. What isnt shown in th he pic is similair walls and oavers around the front and other side. The company that started this went out of business. We came in finished and installed irrigation and sod. The house has also been remodeled since. But at the time the wall type could not be changed from what was started.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

That is a very nice driveway you put in.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When explaining the wall I was actually talking about #4 with the chilton and the house with brick in the background.
In #5 the stone was chosen because the house was just purchased and they are redoing the front of the house. We built the wall for what is coming not what is there. I will have pictures this summer when they are done with the front redo.