Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo Bed Redefiner

I have purchased the Echo Bed Redefiner and have been really happy with it's performance. The only drawback is if the soil is very moist I have to stop and scrape the accumulated dirt with a small putty knife. It does take a little practice to walk backwards and keep a straight line.
Here is the link, http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Bed-Redefiners
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

We use them as well, and under perfect conditions they work great. But, you are correct, they do clog when the soil is moist.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Can you guys tell me more? We normally edge beds with the trimmer held vertical. It's might allow us to keep a nice groove. Would definently help with Bermuda runners.

How does it hold up? How often have you replaced the cutting blade? Does it cover you in dirt? Give me all the details!,

Wegrow- our soils are pretty similar though I may have sandy loam and some clay.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Can you guys tell me more? We normally edge beds with the trimmer held vertical. It's might allow us to keep a nice groove. Would definently help with Bermuda runners.

How does it hold up? How often have you replaced the cutting blade? Does it cover you in dirt? Give me all the details!,

Wegrow- our soils are pretty similar though I may have sandy loam and some clay.
I don't do routine bed edging with it just bed defining when the edge needs it. It cuts a wide trench about 2-3 inches. Customers love it.
First seasons use it has held up well no problems. The cutting blade is holding up great so far. I don't really know how many hours on the unit.
The dirt doesn't cover you, your walk it backwards. See the video on the website link.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. I don't have many lawns that have been edged with a full size bed edger. Most of mine are done weekly with a trimmer turned vertical. They all have a pretty good edge.

That has been my concern with the hand held version.....that I would have to do more trenching the first few times. I could also use it to create edges on mulch jobs.

Had the local golf super ask me about it the other day. Maybe he will get one and let me demo it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Definately a good tool for redefining existing mulch beds. Actually, I use them for creating a deep edge on new landscape installs as well. Walk behind bed edgers are good, but expensive, the Echo edgers are well built and very affordable. Also they are quicker than a common edging shovel or spade.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good info, I have been wondering about these edgers, mainly for the spring when re-edging and occasionally the summer when they get washed out, or for new projects, etc. I run all stihl, may be a silly question, but would that head fit on a stihl? The stihl bed edger looks like crap and I dont think it would work well at all. Any additional information is greatly appreciated, Im sure it beats edging with a spade/edger/shovel.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Good info, I have been wondering about these edgers, mainly for the spring when re-edging and occasionally the summer when they get washed out, or for new projects, etc. I run all stihl, may be a silly question, but would that head fit on a stihl? The stihl bed edger looks like crap and I dont think it would work well at all. Any additional information is greatly appreciated, Im sure it beats edging with a spade/edger/shovel.
The echo is a stand alone piece. Not sure you could change out attachments.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We bought one last season and was very pleased with the results.It works well when the bed edge is not too far gone, again with moist soil, it has to be cleaned out from time to time.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The bed redefiner is a straight shaft tool not an attachment.