Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by materialmovers View Post
I just went through this about 2 months ago. I haul more with my dump trailer more than maybe I should, but its what I have and I am not buying a dump truck yet. It's a PJ and its at 2011. I was having problems with my battery and I took it into my local battery/alternator shop and had it load tested and its charging amps were half of what it should be. I had sulfated the plate from using a trickle charger and not getting a deep cycle charge(charged after every use, but trickle charger didnt have enough amp/hr to charge a deep cycle over night). When I bought the trailer 5 to 6 loads were common, after a year I was down to 4 and by this fall I was down to 3. The shop suggested that I run jumper cable wire with a battery isolator in it to make sure I didn't have any troubles smoking my alternator or worse. Same forklift style plugs that have been shown on here. I ran the wire and got it all cut and set up and then took it back and the soldered all the ends and put that heat shrink wrap on them all. Total was $422 from them and my time, well worth it! Seems to not struggle so bad. I was starting in on hauling 150 loads of topsoil in for a contractor with it before it snowed and it was working great. I know it seems silly, but its busy work through the winter, since no snow for 20ish days and none in long range. Feel free to ask it you have anymore questions.
That's what I was planning on doing! Except I was just going to run from my truck batter, fused on both ends, instead of from my alternator.

My did the same thing, when I first got it I could dump all day now I am lucky if I get 2-3 before it needs a charge.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

PJ dump trickle charge not working, hardwiring to truck?

Had the same problems with our pj gooseneck dump we use for snow. Wired in 1 gauge wires to one of the batteries with a 150 amp fuse and did the plug in on the bumper and it was the best thing ever. Before that I was putting a gas generator in the pickup box with a charger plugged in to keep the stupid battery charged haha

On my new pickup I had the guys that put the gooseneck hitch on do the same thing except had them put the power plugin for the hydraulic motor right by the 7 way plug in the box for the gn trailer wiring. I was starting to have corrosion problems even with a cover on it so putting it in the box should keep it clean. I can try to get a pic tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711SnoPro View Post
Had the same problems with our pj gooseneck dump we use for snow. Wired in 1 gauge wires to one of the batteries with a 150 amp fuse and did the plug in on the bumper and it was the best thing ever. Before that I was putting a gas generator in the pickup box with a charger plugged in to keep the stupid battery charged haha

On my new pickup I had the guys that put the gooseneck hitch on do the same thing except had them put the power plugin for the hydraulic motor right by the 7 way plug in the box for the gn trailer wiring. I was starting to have corrosion problems even with a cover on it so putting it in the box should keep it clean. I can try to get a pic tomorrow.
Good to hear! Did you hook up a ground as well or just run a power wire from your battery?

Pics would be great.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any luck with pics?