Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Honda has four different mower series:

HRC - Commercial grade, fully rated for daily commercial use. Twin blades. Thick steel decks. Composite NeXite wheels, handlebar supports, 2-stage air cleaner, etc. Available in a shaft-drive self-propel and push models, both with commercial grade engines.

HRX - Premium Residential, GCV residential engines, hydrostatic drive, SmartDrive, electric start, NeXite composite decks, Clip Director. Variable mulch/discharge/bag. Twin blades.

HRR - Steel deck residential mowers. SmartDrive, electric start. Rear discharge, mulch or bag. Twin blades.

HRS - Steel deck, side discharge or mulch. Flat deck, 160cc residential engine. Single-speed self-propel or push.

Full Line-up Here: Honda Lawn Mowers

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post

HRC - Commercial grade, fully rated for daily commercial use. Twin blades. Thick steel decks. Composite NeXite wheels, handlebar supports, 2-stage air cleaner, etc. Available in a shaft-drive self-propel and push models, both with commercial grade engines.

HRX - Premium Residential, GCV residential engines, hydrostatic drive, SmartDrive, electric start, NeXite composite decks, Clip Director. Variable mulch/discharge/bag. Twin blades.

HRR - Steel deck residential mowers. SmartDrive, electric start. Rear discharge, mulch or bag. Twin blades.

HRS - Steel deck, side discharge or mulch. Flat deck, 160cc residential engine. Single-speed self-propel or push.

-Robert@Honda
Thanks for the post. The mower at Home Depot is the HRX. I know it all depends on how you use the mower and take care of it, but curious as to how many hours the mower deck/frame/transmission/etc can handle before wearing out. The HRX vs the HRC? Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrguy View Post
...how many hours the mower deck/frame/transmission/etc can handle before wearing out. The HRX vs the HRC? Thanks
All things equal, the HRC will generally last longer than an HRX, because the HRC is held to higher durability standards established by Honda's engineers.

The devil is in the details: Shaft drive, rigid-supported handlebars, commercial grade engine, vs. belt drive, folding handlebars, residential grade engine....

Both are fine mowers, but in the long haul, the HRC is better suited to daily use (and abuse).

-Robert@Honda
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
Yep, they are great! They are also very heavy, and pretty darn expensive ($1100), so unless you are using it on some fairly level ground, don't have to lift it, and use it a lot, then to me the cost is not worth it. I have a lot of slopes and this mower would be very hard to handle. Mostly, I've come to agree with using the B&S side valve mowers for cost & weight reasons. And they are very reliable.
That is pretty much my conclusion with Honda. Way to heavy, a tad underpowered, and parts are very expensive. A very durable mower, no doubt just does not fit my application. After using Honda, snapper, and a Toro super recycler last year I prefer the snapper. Not a huge fan of the personal pace, but the Sr4 is decent. I wanted the Toro#22156, commercial "21 but it is not variable speed. The heavy duty Toro is built like a tank but much too heavy for a trim mower. I refuse to trailer a pushmower anymore since it wears it out as much as actually mowing with it. It goes in the pickup bed, so weight is a concern for my purpose. After transporting my Sr4 in the bed last season it has held much better than my previous pushmowers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

-Robert@Honda
Good info!

......AMF!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

honda dealer

Being a honda dealer I would recommend the HRC for any commercial use but honestly when I was cutting commercially I used my HRX a lot more and it held up amazingly. I was in Hawaii so cut year round. I would say definitely buy from a dealer usually it will be the same price or cheaper and they will adjust the rpm and drive to spec. We find most HRR and HRX units have the rpm set extremely low out of the box and have to adjust them. Andrew, Dallas, GA
Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do the HRX and HRC push mowers perform on an incline?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrguy View Post
How do the HRX and HRC push mowers perform on an incline?
Honda recommends mowing across the slope with walk-behind mowers, so I'd say they work evenly, perhaps a slight edge to the HRC with its heavier weight probably provides a bit more traction.

-Robert@Honda
Old 12-08-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

-Robert@Honda
Are the hydorstatic transmissions the same in the HRX & HRC?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Are the hydorstatic transmissions the same in the HRX & HRC?
Close, but not exact. Both use the swash-plate design to control speed, both use the same fluid, etc. Both have driven pumps that pressurize the HST fluid, then control that flow to drive a motor that turns the drive shaft.

The biggest difference is the HRC is a commercial-grade, designed to handle thousands of hours of daily use. It is powered by a driveshaft that is directly connected to the HRC's engine. All the internal parts of the HRC are available and it can be rebuilt and serviced down to the last nut and bolt.

The HRX is a premium-consumer model, and does not have any internally-serviceable parts. It is rated to perform as a homeowner-grade device, and isn't subject to as high a durability standards as the HRC's transmission. The HRX's hydrostatic transmission is powered by a belt-driven pulley, rather than a driveshaft, as all HRX mower decks were designed to work with belts. Generally speaking, a driveshaft will usually last longer before failure vs. a belt. That said, it would take years and years of typical homeowner use before the belt would even start to show any wear.

Regardless of which you may use, once you try a hydrostatic transmission, it is hard to go back to a straight gear-type or slipping belt design.