Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on the market region.

I've attended meetings with CCS and water districts.. In my area $100 is unacceptable and way to high. A test can be done in just a few minutes if you are good at it.

Our minimum charge is $40 for a test.. $45 for people that have to meet us.. $75 for alarm activated devices that we must call the monitoring company and $75 for devices inside vaults under ground such as 8" devices. I deal with .5" devices often enough too..

This may be cheap to you? Then again our company alone concurrently tests over 5,000 devices a year.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

99% of mine are tested at spring turn on. I charge 50.00
A separate trip is usually 75.00 but I test it at my convenience (when I'm in the area)
I don't test non irrigation devices anymore, they were too time consuming.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To the best of my knowledge unless you are with a fire sprinkler company you cannot touch a backflow device on a fire line. I can only test irrigation and commercial (medical, foodservice, etc) backflow devices.
I'm sure it depends on what region you are in. I keep hearing around here 100.00 a inch is the going rate. It makes all the paperwork worth it.
I am one of a few few (under 10) that test Backflows around here. And we have 100-150k people within 20-30 miles. Supply and demand? I guess if there were more testers the price would go down?
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Because selling a BF that I payed $56 for for $156 is one of the reasons I chose this industry.
I don't take a lot of pride in lacking repair capabilities, especially for anything I installed myself.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You install 1/2 bf's?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You install 1/2 bf's?
Not by design, but I got a few of the 1/2-inch RPZs on a pallet order, mostly to have a lightweight sample to carry around when we were having to explain why we weren't going to install a DCVA anymore. Then I found a few rare opportunities to use up the surplus pieces on very-low-flow installs, like hose-bib-supplied-systems.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
To the best of my knowledge unless you are with a fire sprinkler company you cannot touch a backflow device on a fire line. I can only test irrigation and commercial (medical, foodservice, etc) backflow devices.

Mike
It probably is within local codes and depending on the region There are a huge liabilities when it comes to fire sprinkler systems. We also have our speciality back flow licenses which allow us to repair them.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Not by design, but I got a few of the 1/2-inch RPZs on a pallet order, mostly to have a lightweight sample to carry around when we were having to explain why we weren't going to install a DCVA anymore. Then I found a few rare opportunities to use up the surplus pieces on very-low-flow installs, like hose-bib-supplied-systems.
Only ones Ive ever seen are tiny pvb's with no test cocks. Those were on in one hood about 30 yrs old with systems installed by the builders guy.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Only ones Ive ever seen are tiny pvb's with no test cocks
Never seen or heard of such a thing. Maybe you're thinking of the old 3/4"-1" AVB's.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Only ones Ive ever seen are tiny pvb's with no test cocks. Those were on in one hood about 30 yrs old with systems installed by the builders guy.
Wilkins made a 1/2-inch version of their tiny beverage-feed RPZ, with all the testcocks. Watts makes a 1/2-inch version of the 009 RPZ that uses the same relief-valve parts as the 3/4-inch model, and it has a flow capacity that's good enough for a lot of systems fed from 5/8 meters.
Attached Images