Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snore...lost me 1/3 of the way through. People don't need to know your life history and your dreams and goals. Something like that belongs more in your company history/mission statement, not a flyer. Just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey Flynn, FWIW, don't let these guys get you down. Seems like you got thick enough skin to take some of the bashing. Personally, I give you props for being motivated enough to start your own company. I'm a school teacher and teach kids your age. I can't get them to do ****, let alone WORK, let alone START THEIR OWN COMPANY!!!! So congrats on working hard, you'll do very well in life.

Now, I agree, keep your fliers simple, get them to "catch the eye" so to speak. I'm far from an expert and new to this business myself, but, give things a try. See what works and doesn't work. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer. If it works, then it works, just don't be afraid to TRY no matter what anyone says. Keep up the good work and do your thing. Don't ever stop trying to "better" yourself and your company.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone asks what you're doing it for, just tell them you've got to start somewhere.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

All the talk about turf stress and making the home look like a baseball field sounds like your blowing smoke up my tail pipe, and sounds like you are trying way too hard.
Not trying to sound rude, that is just what I would think if I saw all that on a flyer. Sounds like you got a great company going though, keep it up and good luck. Also, shorten the flyer, or home owners will toss it after the third sentence.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
hey Flynn, FWIW, don't let these guys get you down. Seems like you got thick enough skin to take some of the bashing. Personally, I give you props for being motivated enough to start your own company. I'm a school teacher and teach kids your age. I can't get them to do ****, let alone WORK, let alone START THEIR OWN COMPANY!!!! So congrats on working hard, you'll do very well in life.

Now, I agree, keep your fliers simple, get them to "catch the eye" so to speak. I'm far from an expert and new to this business myself, but, give things a try. See what works and doesn't work. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer. If it works, then it works, just don't be afraid to TRY no matter what anyone says. Keep up the good work and do your thing. Don't ever stop trying to "better" yourself and your company.
Yeah i know the abuse young guys get on here and am not looking to fight you like me or you dont simple as that i dont need to impress anyone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think what we're trying to tell you is that your flyer just doesn't have any visual appeal or draw to the average person. Not that what you've written doesn't have value, but it isn't really a flyer. As an "about us" page on your website something like that is fine, but you want a flyer to quickly transmit a message of who you are, what you do and where you do it. Using some color and graphics/pictures, listing your services and contact information along with some key statements and some "power words" would go a lot further...honest, dependable, hard working, prompt, courteous, reasonable, professional, capable, qualified, knowledgeable, meticulous.....
Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Im am 16 andin i agree with everyone else about keeping it simple and to the point.Really most customers dont care what to you soend your money on as long as you do good work and stick to your word. I understand you are trying to distinguish yourself from hacks but let your work show them. I would recommend to do multiple rounds of flyers and talk to everyone you know about your business because them or someone they know may need your services. Just do good work and you will continue to get customers cause the best advertising method is word of mouth and its free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Flynn! That sounds really good for an about us page. As far as a flyer, make sure you get a eye catching, high quality photo of something related and keep it simple.

Bullet points are always good because they read fast. If you put in a few paragraphs on a flyer people probably wont even stop to read it.

Here is a good example of a catchy flyer http://s719.beta.photobucket.com/use...yer01.jpg.html

I know you are trying to look more credible and you are on the right track! My only other suggestion would be to clean up your website. Add some pictures and content to your front page. Right now you just have your logo.

I would suggest listing your services on the front page (along with a picture) and linking them to their own pages explaining what each service entails and why you do it, better, faster or what have you.

I hope this helps and good luck with your business!