Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Youe need an excavator with a reduced or zero tail swing like the E45 or E 50
You really think thats best? i have gotten away with conventional tail swing for a while now. He does have a used e45 for sale for a little over 40k with 360 hours...maybe i will take a look at it.

On another note:
We are considering getting a switch n go on an fl70 like etwman, so i am trying to keep the weight of the machines under 6 ton, not necessary because i can tow it, but would be nice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
It just proves there are rednecks everywhere, not just Georgia.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, you have to have a zero turn excavator when doing hardscape projects.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never buy a mini without zero swing. So nice to have when working in tight spots or next to a building /object.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

seems like the general consensus is a zts machine is key.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The E50 has a minamal tall swing like the KX161 has. Niether is zero tail swing but the overhang is minamal. As far as having a conventional tail swing I see no advantage except maybe a bigger cab?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Both are for a 4 year lease:
bobcat t650- fully loaded, bucket and pallet for around $1000 a month(wouldnt get it fully loaded, so it would be less.

bobcat e42- open cab, thumb 2 buckets. $800 a month
First I'll admit I've never looked into leasing a machine but at the end of 4 years you've payed out $86,400 for a machine with very low hours that you turn back in and have nothing to show for??? That's crazy to me. I agree with alldayrj you pay to work on the equipment or you pay the bank, but when the work stops the mechanic bill stops but a loan don't stop because of lack of work.

You mentioned that you rent a mtl16 and 3503 mini for all your work, I see mtl16/tl130 with 1000hrs or less going for 20-25K all the time and I see Takeuchi TB125 on average of 15K with usally 1,500hrs, It may take a little bit of time but there's deals out there to keep you at your 40K budget, they might not be the biggest, nicest and newest CTL and Mini but they get the job done and don't cost you fortune when just starting out. Start with equipment that you can live with and sleep at night and that makes business sense.

Yes ZTS is nice if your buying a new machine, but conventional tail swing will work also if you buying used and its a deal.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Accounting wise Leasing a machine for a few year term with a $1 buy out at the end always works out the best for tax write off purposes.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

We picked up a 2005 TL130 this summer for 11,000

A 2006 35D for 9,000.

Both are basic machines that needed some TLC but are tight and strong. I and a few of the other guys that work for us were able to fix the little things they needed so it wasn't a problem. I probably spent 4 months looking all over every day.

I don't care for having huge payments as this allows us some flexibility in working, what we are doing, and having some down time in winters.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

My best advice is to take the time to research the different equipment brands. You know what sizes that you need, you know what your budget is, you know that having a tail on your excavator is no big thing. So........

Find equipment that is simple and has the fewest weak points. The Mustang/gehl/Takeuchi TL 130 are a great machine, I bought mine (2000 hrs, 2002 year) for $16500. bucket, forks, no cab. It was ugly, but a few hours and some paint, she looks pretty nice. Last year I purchased a 2007 IHI 35n for $19000 with cab 2000 hrs.

I spent literally years researching on this and other sites. I had to drive 12 hrs for the Tak - found on machinery trader. The IHI was a hour away found on Craigslist. I did not buy site unseen, I test drove both machines before writing the check.

Anyway, long story longer, my stuff looks nice and is dependable and does what I need for minimal cost, my monthly payments equal one days rental for each machine.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

to get 2 new machines financed, i am looking at a little under $30,000 in payments....looks like i better find more work, or find cheaper equipment.

Quote: