Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Best mower/livestock for 4+ acres

We're in the process of purchasing 5 acres, most cleared (see pic) with a pond/sm lake section in back. Over the next few years we would like to begin a mini-homestead kind of thing, with a garden and some livestock. Initially, we are going to have to mow until we decide where to fence and add livestock. What would be the best mower for this? Also, do any of you recommend which part we should fence first and if so, what type of livestock? We're thinking some miniature goats, a sheep or two, maybe a cow? My husband is focused more on the gardening end. With my country upbringing (and biology major) I'm more interested in the animals. I don't want my view of the pond from the back porch blocked unless absolutely necessary. He's thinking of putting the garden right there with an 8 ft. high deer fence. I can probably persuade him that the garden needs to go in front (toward the road) of the house. Anyway for the next couple of years, we are going to have to mow/cut. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Last edited by ldeloread; 01-22-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A small compact tractor is what i would recommend. You can get a mid mount deck and im assuming your gonna need a loader for work around the farm which u can mount to the machine and with the 3 point hitch you have a wide array of attachments for it
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Best mower/livestock for 4+ acres

Yea small tractor with mid mount or finishing mower. You could use a small bush hog also
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You can ask Krayzkajun to mow it for you.!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Goats. A donkey or two. That's what I have. Rarely have to mow my back two acres that they are on
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the JD 1026. I have the older version 2305. Mine has a FEL, 62" belly mower and numerous 3PH attachments. It's an extremely handy piece of equipment. Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice property! 5 acres with a lake is just what I would love to get. I was close awhile back with 2 1/2 acres with a stocked lake adjacent to the property, but some issues came up.

You could look into a ZTR with a rear discharge. But as a few have mentioned with what you plan on doing a tractor with a finish mower would probably serve you well.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Compact John Deer w/ loader and finish mower.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great info

I appreciate all the quick replies. How long will it take to mow with a small compact tractor vs. a ZTR? Our family had a small garden, horses plus various other critters and we never had a tractor. Granted, one would have been nice. For the few major projects my dad did, he either borrowed one or rented one. I'm more worried about the time involved in mowing. We have found 4 goats that need adopting (free - as long as we don't eat them. Can we tether them until we get a fence up?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your speed on either machine is likely to be determined by how rough or smooth your lawn is. I've mowed my 2+ acres with both the JD 62" and the Exmark 48" WB. I'm never in any real hurry and have never mowed at full speed which is probably 6-8 MPH for both machines. If a tractor doesn't seem to be a good fit for you then get the zero turn. It will at least save you some time in that you can turn it around in a heart beat.