Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro power head good or junk???

I got out of the lawn business for a year and I am looking to get back in. I was at Home Cheapo looking at their Echo trimmers, (the only thing with a engine I have ever bought there) and I noticed the Toro power head for $120. The reviews are outstanding, and it states on Home Depots web site that it has a commercial engine, a 25.4 cc to be exact. Now the troubling issues, I cannot find this tool on Toros website, nor can I find Toro made attachments, it says you can use Craftsman, Ryobi or a couple other brands for the attachments. Does anyone actually know anything about this product, I know everyone will say its junk just because its Home Depot and not an Echo, shindaiwa, or Stihl, but it would be great if someone has actually used it.
Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
I got out of the lawn business for a year and I am looking to get back in. I was at Home Cheapo looking at their Echo trimmers, (the only thing with a engine I have ever bought there) and I noticed the Toro power head for $120. The reviews are outstanding, and it states on Home Depots web site that it has a commercial engine, a 25.4 cc to be exact. Now the troubling issues, I cannot find this tool on Toros website, nor can I find Toro made attachments, it says you can use Craftsman, Ryobi or a couple other brands for the attachments. Does anyone actually know anything about this product, I know everyone will say its junk just because its Home Depot and not an Echo, shindaiwa, or Stihl, but it would be great if someone has actually used it.
Thanks.
How long we're you in tha bussiness befor you got out. I personally wouldn't buy any equipment at homedepot for commercial use.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Member

10 years total, 2 years self employed. I dont like home depot either. I just want it for the hedge trimmers and the power pruner attachment. Since I would use these on limited jobs, (based on past experiences anyways) I thought it might be a decent purchase at $290 plus tax(this includes the power head, and both the hedge trimmer and power pruner head). If it only last two years that is worth it to me, and at that time I should be able to upgrade to a real power pruner and echo hedge trimmers. Those two tools alone are pushing $1000, which is why 300 sounds so good for now. But I also know you get what you pay for. I bought the snapper mower from Sears and had to replace the engine the beginning of the second season, I love it now with the BS 8.75 torque engine on it.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
10 years total, 2 years self employed. I dont like home depot either. I just want it for the hedge trimmers and the power pruner attachment. Since I would use these on limited jobs, (based on past experiences anyways) I thought it might be a decent purchase at $290 plus tax(this includes the power head, and both the hedge trimmer and power pruner head). If it only last two years that is worth it to me, and at that time I should be able to upgrade to a real power pruner and echo hedge trimmers. Those two tools alone are pushing $1000, which is why 300 sounds so good for now. But I also know you get what you pay for. I bought the snapper mower from Sears and had to replace the engine the beginning of the second season, I love it now with the BS 8.75 torque engine on it.
You no beginner so make wise choices.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

your right I do know the right choice, but it is just so much damn money!! I remember the first piece of equipment I ever bought for my company was a Home lite blower, it was the same price as a used echo blower, but new. It lasted half a season and burned up, and it always smelled like burning plastic while running. guess I should not make that mistake again. My used echo blower is still going strong, but I think the ethanol is starting to take its toll. Guess I will have to shell out a grand, or find some good deals on craigslist. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one as a backup at the direct tools outlet. They had them for $99 including the trimmer head last spring as refurbished. All of those ryobi attachments fit it, i love it for the 10' reach i get with the pole pruner and hedge trimmer. Things i only use a couple times a year. It might not be a good choice for everyday use, but as a backuo and all those crazy attachments i only need a couple times per year it suits me just fine. It is also the trimmer i hand out if someone wants to try out or borrow my equipment.l
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL, I hate when people ask to borrow my stuff, so I would do the same. And I just found out that I have an older Toro power head with the trimmer already on it out in the garage. I forgot I even had it. My buddy gave it to me because it was not an Echo, so now I just need to grab the hedger and power pruner head and hope it lasts through at least one year. If I buy these attachments refurbished it will only be $90. I know they are junk, but for under 100 bucks I have to at least try. Echos hedge trimmers are 300 and their power pruner is 550 or so for the small one, and that is just too rich for me at this point.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Here's something that should help you, Toro doesn't "make" any 2 cycle equipment... and if I'm going to help you further, I should also let you know that the reason all those other cheap brand attachments will fit it, is because the current "Toro" gas hand held stuff is made by TTI aka Homelite.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of these "Toro" units as well that my wife bought me years ago. I have a tiller attachment, pole saw and trimmer, but I use this stuff very rarely. It's okay for what I use it for, but it's a lot heavier than my Husky equipment.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Here's something that should help you, Toro doesn't "make" any 2 cycle equipment... and if I'm going to help you further, I should also let you know that the reason all those other cheap brand attachments will fit it, is because the current "Toro" gas hand held stuff is made by TTI aka Homelite.

Ok thanks, I never thought Toro would make some of the best commercial mowers and snow blowers, then have homelite make their 2 stroke equipment. The Toro I found in my garage is a 25cc engine, and homlite does make a weed eater with this same engine. And it is very home owner oriented, with instructions of how to start it all over the place. So has Toro ever made their own weed eaters?