Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been doing this since the spring. Figure it this way... you can have 10k postcards printed up, color front, b/w back, for about 250-300, printed and shipped to your business/home. Buy wholesale baggies and washers for what?? 500...600 tops? Bag em, toss em. Most of us on here, especially us in the north, have the time to do this during the winter months, just prior to the spring. Invest about or under 1k and some of your time and look what it may yield?

Marketing basics for folk who can't comprehend.... it is a numbers game, more people reached = more leads = more estimates = more______. I'll let u guys guess the answer.
You, personally, may not enjoy the idea of finding a flyer on your mail, or getting a spam email, or receiving a phone call from your bank about a new service that they are offering. I understand that, I'd prefer not to receive them either. But we do, don't we. But if "that method would never work", then why do businesses still telemarket, use email marketing and direct marketing?? Bc it WORKS!

Are you gonna piss a few people off? Sure. Are you willing to piss off ten people in exchange for 75-100 leads? If the answer is yes, you're golden. If the answer is no, liquidate your equipment for cash now, b/c we will be stealing your customers shortly.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still say it's low, cheap, trashy and not the image I want for my company. But if it fits you and your image, then go for it.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I still say it's low, cheap, trashy and not the image I want for my company. But if it fits you and your image, then go for it.
You're mowing lawns. You're not running a day spa. 99% of our customers could care less what you look like as long as they don't have to do the work they're good to go. That's why they hire us in the 1st place...so they don't have to do it. It's hard, nasty work. That's why we exist.

This is a brilliant idea for mass marketing. I read about this in Sean's book as well and I'm definitely going to be doing this.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
In my spare time I'll throw out a few competitors flyers in the cheap bag. Though, I use dog turds instead of rocks.

In all seriousness, with materials and gas you'd probably spend more time/money than a Adwords campaign. I've worked for companies in the past who do the flyer/bag method and do pick up some business. But, think of the time stuffing those flyers, throwing them out, etc. Why not spend less time and let those interested come to you.

Last edited by New2TheGreenIndustry; 01-25-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
In my spare time I'll throw out a few competitors flyers in the cheap bag. Though, I use dog turds instead of rocks.

In all seriousness, with materials and gas you'd probably spend more time/money than a Adwords campaign. I've worked for companies in the past who do the flyer/bag method and do pick up some business. But, think of the time stuffing those flyers, throwing them out, etc. Why not spend less time and let those interested come to you.
I think in some instances it may be a good idea to do both.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's littering and in many areas illegal and most people don't appreciate having trash thrown on their driveway. And I'm servicing properties, not just mowing lawns, at that includes picking up the trash that lowlife scum throw on it.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It's littering and in many areas illegal and most people don't appreciate having trash thrown on their driveway. And I'm servicing properties, not just mowing lawns, at that includes picking up the trash that lowlife scum throw on it.
I'll let you know how many call and complain after I do it.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=300984
Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh crap! Is it time for this shizz again? Scrubbery 101 class of 2013 is now in session.

Since the OP disappeared two years ago I guess we know how well his marketing plan worked.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This thread is full of win.
Posted via Mobile Device