Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

We haven't heard of Angie's List or BBB working very good for advertising.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I had someone that said they are planning on starting this spring ask me if you MUST be legit to advertise on Angie's list! I advised them that no matter what they are doing they better be legit! I've never used Angie's list so I wouldn't know!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
We grew a lot last year from it, we run a featured ad and have over 20 positive reviews we also won the super service award last year which should help even more this year, it's NOT like the BBB, it just another way to come at potential customers, we've had people tell us it's the ONLY way they will hire a contractor. You HAVE to be GOOD though and run your business right or the customers will rake you over the coals. I have a good friend that built a million dollar business over the last two years using primarily Angies list, and yes even the BBB, which is used for credentials not gaining customers, people don't generally go to the BBB looking for contractors but just to verify they are legit.
cpllawncare-

What you are saying makes sense. If the customers are going to Angie's List to find quality contractors --- then it makes sense to be there, particularly if you have good reviews. For $84 it seems worth a shot.

Rick
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would suggest talking to a AL Rep for your area, each area has it's own rep find out who or how many LCO's or landscaping companies your competing against. It may not work well in rural area's I don't know? I've talked to several companies that use it and have had much success with it, so I decided to try it last year and I too had good success with it, the clients I got from it were generally high end and ready to hire when they called, and obviously the more and better reviews you have the better quality and number of calls you'll receive. I can just tell you MY results, I do know you had better be set up right, and do high quality work or you will get run off of the site by the customers. I would highly suggest you be legit, although I don't know it's entirely required.I am always up front with customers about the risk of dealing with a non legit person.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Nope, I consider them like the BBB.
I had 1 customer who posted 2 reviews on my company. A++. Was contacted by Angie's List and they discribed the program and how it works. That was 4 months ago, and I have picked up 5 new customers, and just completed 2 proposals; one for annual care contract on 500k property and the other for a complete makeover (11k). I think it is working very well for me since I have not spent any money...yet. I have links to web page and their phone ads for the older generation who needs work but do not do the internet. We are in a retirement haven. $148. a month (4.93 a day). How much would you spend on 2 beers after work? Just saying
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchoutshrub View Post
We haven't heard of Angie's List or BBB working very good for advertising.
That's because your not going to get many calls just from the free listing, and again the BBB is not an advertising medium, it's just a way to say I'M LEGIT and don't mind if you check to find out, if your a legit business it helps you stand out from the guy down the street.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imow in NC View Post
I had 1 customer who posted 2 reviews on my company. A++. Was contacted by Angie's List and they discribed the program and how it works. That was 4 months ago, and I have picked up 5 new customers, and just completed 2 proposals; one for annual care contract on 500k property and the other for a complete makeover (11k). I think it is working very well for me since I have not spent any money...yet. I have links to web page and their phone ads for the older generation who needs work but do not do the internet. We are in a retirement haven. $148. a month (4.93 a day). How much would you spend on 2 beers after work? Just saying
Back at you, still consider it like the BBB. Wait till someone post something bad and you have to defend yourself for not bidding on a job, or the customer is unreasonable, or just crazy. If it works for you great. But still like the BBB.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Back at you, still consider it like the BBB. Wait till someone post something bad and you have to defend yourself for not bidding on a job, or the customer is unreasonable, or just crazy. If it works for you great. But still like the BBB.
Clyde,

You will get bad reviews no matter how hard you try, like any business, it's how you handle it that makes the difference, if you make a mistake admit it, correct it. Post a reply about what you did to correct the situation. Your SANE customers are very aware that there are bad customers out there and you can't please everyone all the time, I'll say it again, stay professional at all times! For every bad review I have, I have four good reviews, that trumps the bad ones everyday. So what if it's like the BBB? Are you afraid of people knowing how you do business?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not afraid at all what people say or think about my business. I am known as the company that can do anything and fix contractors mistakes. So word of mouth is my advertisement. So if AL and BBB works for you great. This started out as a thread that said what do you think about AL. Gave my opinion, if you want to dispute my opinion start another thread on You can't believe company don't like AL.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Not afraid at all what people say or think about my business. I am known as the company that can do anything and fix contractors mistakes. So word of mouth is my advertisement. So if AL and BBB works for you great. This started out as a thread that said what do you think about AL. Gave my opinion, if you want to dispute my opinion start another thread on You can't believe company don't like AL.
Just saying, it works! that's what the OP wanted to know.