Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The trouble is we have very few options when it comes to engines on mowers. If I could of bought a briggs with the SZ, I would of. But no choice, had to get Kawi. I certainly wouldnt want another 31. Mine started leaking oil from the governor area and would/could of cost me a packet to repair it.
The 37 I have now doesnt use any oil (or very little) but its still young at 250hrs.

I used to use semi synthetic oil but now Im going to stick with dino and see if that helps keep the leaks to a minimum.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

my 26hp kawi used oil a lil bit for the first 100hrs. after that it pretty much stopped for the most part. i fill it up and after 100hrs when i do the next change it's still 3/4 up on the stick in the safe range. it does use a lil bit but not that much. i think it's best to just pour a dab of oil in there after 50hrs to keep it at the full level and then change it at 100hrs with new oil and filter.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
First let me point out that the dealer I used was great. No problem with them, Kawasaki however, that's another story.

We'll guys to keep this short, you can refer back to my earlier posts regarding this cheetah and it's issues. I put it in the shop the first time because it was using oil, had things here and there adjusted, and a few other routine things done to it to try and find the oil consumption culprit. Unfortunately the adjustments didn't fix the consumption, it still showed oil consumption over the next 20 hours of use. Anyhow, as usual I was checking the oil level one day after about 20-25 hours since the last fresh oil/filter was installed and it was down to HALF LEVEL. I couldn't believe it. So back to the shop for a second time. We'll I just got the mower back this week and the oil consumption tests are coming back indicating that its using a normal amount of oil for that type of engine, which is about a quart a week or 1.5 oz average/hour, if I remember right. Had I known this I wouldn't have bought a Cheetah, period, heck my last mower didn't start using oil until 1300 hrs. At any rate, if you agree with Kawasaki then maybe this type of engine is for you, but if that's a little too much oil consumption, then I agree.

Oh and don't be fooled by "warranty this" and "warranty that" for X amount of years. Its hogwash. Seems to me like when Kawasaki gets a claim they turn it into a normal issue for a certain engine and write it off as something that just happens to that particular engine, kind of like oil consumption. Do a search and ask around, I'm not the only one with this problem with this engine.

Anyhow, this is mainly for you all considering what to buy for this season. Just keep in mind that you might be spending some extra money on oil/gas if you go the kawasaki route.

Have a nice day.
If you are interested I know where you can find 32 hp vanguard engine that only has around 20 hrs. on it. Good price too.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon7 View Post
I have had better luck with Kohler. ... I had one 23hp Kohler go 4900 hours. ...
WOW, that's impressive ... I hope my Kohler's will run for 4,900 hours !! From your signature it looks like your still running that machine, a TT ... did you re-build the Kohler, or, buy a new engine ??
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, its normal for air cooled big blocks to go through some oil, i have some that dont, but i would say 60/40. Hard explaining that to a customer with a $10000 mower, but it happens. People dont realize the extreme operation these motors take when used. Run a ford at full throttle for an hour and see what happens, mower motors are miracles daily
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Yeah, its normal for air cooled big blocks to go through some oil, i have some that dont, but i would say 60/40. Hard explaining that to a customer with a $10000 mower, but it happens. People dont realize the extreme operation these motors take when used. Run a ford at full throttle for an hour and see what happens, mower motors are miracles daily
Posted via Mobile Device
RD,

Is that just Kohlers or all BB's? My 30 Vanguard BB doesn't burn oil. Its only got 100 hours so do i have something to look forward too?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetree View Post
WOW, that's impressive ... I hope my Kohler's will run for 4,900 hours !! From your signature it looks like your still running that machine, a TT ... did you re-build the Kohler, or, buy a new engine ??
I bought the exact same engine to replace it. I have replaced just about everything on the mower. New hydros, new wheel motors, new spindles, a lot of belts, and tires LOL. But, heck I had a brand new mower by the time I replaced all of that so I still use it. It is more of a backup now. I put the mulch kit on it in the fall. This last year it probably only got 300-400 hours of use. But that is after being the primary mower for many years. I was very surprised it lasted that long. I ran the living crap out of that mower for many years.

I still have the original motor on the shelf. It was burning so much oil that in a typical 5-6 hour usage day I was dumping a whole quart of oil in it. It finally blew up.

The mower looks like it is only 2 years old. You would never guess it has over 6000 hours on it. I see a lot of people with a 2 year old mower with 900 hours and it looks like total crap. I can't believe how some people treat their equipment.

Last edited by ddixon7; 01-26-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've sold many big block Kawasaki and Big Block Vangaurds and the reliability on the Kawasaki's are not up to par just yet. They are working on it hard tho. The 37hp DFI Kawasaki is actually dependable now. When they came out they were horrible. But I have yet to do a warranty claim on a vanguard Big Block in 4 years!!! They are super reliable and when I sale a new Ferris/ Snapper Pro mowers I always push them because they are the best on the market for now
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
The trouble is we have very few options when it comes to engines on mowers. If I could of bought a briggs with the SZ, I would of. But no choice, had to get Kawi. I certainly wouldnt want another 31. Mine started leaking oil from the governor area and would/could of cost me a packet to repair it.
The 37 I have now doesnt use any oil (or very little) but its still young at 250hrs.

I used to use semi synthetic oil but now Im going to stick with dino and see if that helps keep the leaks to a minimum.
What was your 31 on? Did you replace it or just get a mew mower altogether?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
If you are interested I know where you can find 32 hp vanguard engine that only has around 20 hrs. on it. Good price too.
Thanks, PM sent.