Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can Exmark continue to compete

Alright guys, like all smart men i like to speculate about our industry's future and we all know price on equipment plays a role. With 2013 equipment on dealers floors now i see the prices keep getting higher and higher. Some more than others, some ridiculous.... I don't want this thread to turn into a brand war so lets keep it clean and but please do speak you mind.

I'd like to hear if Exmark users and Exmark brand loyalist think if Exmark can continue to complete at their new price points. I hear TT's are going for just under 10K and Lazer Z's X series for just under 13K (loaded).

Now, i see that Toro finally started to advertise Exmark on LS so please we know big brother will be watching and i don't want this thread getting deleted or shut down. I believe allot of good discussion can be had.

So now that's out of the way let get into the details.

Look, I really believe that Toro will either phase out the Exmark brand or they will have to reengineer their product to WOW the industry to justify their high prices. I've said this a dozen times on here how their core competency is in steel fabrication and their technology is in the deck. However, as many of us know Exmark decks are great for dry average growth but leave allot to be desired int he over all category and wet grass category.

I'm not hating at all, i started off with a Lazer Z HP and felt it was only average, but with mower mfgr's like Snapper Pro, Bobcat, Badboy, Encore i'm looking at those after i look at Ferris, Scag, Deere, Husky 1st and maybe Exmark comes in # 8 or 9 on the list. I just think they have totally lost their competitive edge.

Why, because they over priced compared to the competition and really i see better mower out there. Everyone that knows me on here knows that I think Ferris has the solution to commercial mowing with Scag a solid #2 (just my opinion). Right now i'm looking at adding a walk or a stander and i'm not even considering Exmark or Toro. I just would like to hear from other pro's if they too think they have priced themselves out of the market. Like i've said before Toro has no real reason to keep the Exmark brand alive (manufacturing & engineering tech yes.

So having said that what say you???

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am with you on this. I have had 3 Exmark machines and like you said they are great on perfect grass but really drop the ball in less than ideal conditions. What I find funny is that they haven't really done anything to change their product line over the years except 2 things, new lazer and the vantage. Lets not forget that they have had the same walk behind lineup for more than ten years with the only update being a name change and dropping the 32" hydro Viking. The Vantage while nice and relatively new is little more than a Grandstand with a Series 4 deck on it which has been around for several years as well. That leads us to the Next Lazer Z, maybe one of the smoothest, easy to operate mowers I've ever been on. It comes with a great Series 6 deck and leaves a great finish, well unless you are mowing before 10am or the lawn has a few weeds then all you get is clumps and double cutting. As of now the only Exmark/Toro machines I will consider is a 21"/30" mower. I have bought a Scag 52" Vride and don't see myself going back.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you haven't noticed, the cost of almost everything has increased(property excluded). Have you been to the grocery store lately? It's not just mowers.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I am with you on this. I have had 3 Exmark machines and like you said they are great on perfect grass but really drop the ball in less than ideal conditions. What I find funny is that they haven't really done anything to change their product line over the years except 2 things, new lazer and the vantage. Lets not forget that they have had the same walk behind lineup for more than ten years with the only update being a name change and dropping the 32" hydro Viking. The Vantage while nice and relatively new is little more than a Grandstand with a Series 4 deck on it which has been around for several years as well. That leads us to the Next Lazer Z, maybe one of the smoothest, easy to operate mowers I've ever been on. It comes with a great Series 6 deck and leaves a great finish, well unless you are mowing before 10am or the lawn has a few weeds then all you get is clumps and double cutting. As of now the only Exmark/Toro machines I will consider is a 21"/30" mower. I have bought a Scag 52" Vride and don't see myself going back.
I assume you're cutting warm season over there?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
If you haven't noticed, the cost of almost everything has increased(property excluded). Have you been to the grocery store lately? It's not just mowers.
Everything but wages, and yes things have gone up. Property has only gone up because they took huge decreases from 06' to present. I don't remember mowers dropping prices.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I searched around for a zero turn and was very surprised at how expensive exmark was. I went with a gravely some due to price but because I have a gravely walk behind and really like the mower.

Its all expensive and prices will keep rising but we cant charge a ton more because of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
I assume you're cutting warm season over there?
Fescue, Bermuda and Zoysia. The one that shines the most is my TThp36 mowing bermuda with a mulch kit.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I got a quote for 2 left over vantages for 7100 each. They have over 2 dozen. 2013 are a little higher they say. It's about the same price as v rides and wrights/deere standers. X series exmarks deeres r series and Scag turf tigers are within 500 of each other. Now you get into ferris and snapper you save a ton of money especially if your not a current user.

With that said, I think too many people know the exmark name as being superior in the mowing world. More people in the residential world know toro. I myself will exmark each time over toro. I just don't care for the turbo force, plus my toro dealer sucks something awful. I think some dealers know people will buy exmark no matter what and capitalize on it. Some bigger dealers do what we do. Price high on small guys or people they may not want to deal with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've noticed the dealers around here pushing the smaller outfits to pay more but kiss up to the bigger companies. There are 2 rather large operations here both have over 200 employees each and both have Exmark and Scag in their lineup. They can't be paying what we pay for this equipment. There is another relatively large company here and they won't deal with Exmark they run Snapper and Honda mowers.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I got a quote for 2 left over vantages for 7100 each. They have over 2 dozen. 2013 are a little higher they say. It's about the same price as v rides and wrights/deere standers. X series exmarks deeres r series and Scag turf tigers are within 500 of each other. Now you get into ferris and snapper you save a ton of money especially if your not a current user.

With that said, I think too many people know the exmark name as being superior in the mowing world. More people in the residential world know toro. I myself will exmark each time over toro. I just don't care for the turbo force, plus my toro dealer sucks something awful. I think some dealers know people will buy exmark no matter what and capitalize on it. Some bigger dealers do what we do. Price high on small guys or people they may not want to deal with.
Posted via Mobile Device
When i bought my Ferris i was able to score a deal, 2012 & 2013 models went up in price, i think they are running about 10,700 or so. Around here, Exmark is higher than 500 from it competitors plus they come complimentary with poor services dealers. Another issue to worry about at least for me. I will agree there has been an increase industry wide, just Exmarks are every year, higher and higher.

IMPEACH OBAMA