Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used Startron for several months religiously and as per the instructions in ALL of my 2 stroke equipment 2 summers ago (for about 2 months total). 1. it caused no problems that I could note in anything. 2. it solved NOTHING. Frankly, regardless of the claims on the website and the bottle, I think it's just another "snake-oil" sold to lighten your wallet. Only solution I found to the problems I was having with out Ethanol laden fuel was to source fuel that was ethanol free. Problems solved!

As for the mysterious problem the OP had, well I'm rather curious as to what's found there... Seems VERY odd that startron or any other "magic stuff in a bottle" could cause a catastrophic failure in just a couple minutes. You DID use your usual 2 stroke oil mix too, right?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I used Startron for several months religiously and as per the instructions in ALL of my 2 stroke equipment 2 summers ago (for about 2 months total). 1. it caused no problems that I could note in anything. 2. it solved NOTHING. Frankly, regardless of the claims on the website and the bottle, I think it's just another "snake-oil" sold to lighten your wallet. Only solution I found to the problems I was having with out Ethanol laden fuel was to source fuel that was ethanol free. Problems solved!

As for the mysterious problem the OP had, well I'm rather curious as to what's found there... Seems VERY odd that startron or any other "magic stuff in a bottle" could cause a catastrophic failure in just a couple minutes. You DID use your usual 2 stroke oil mix too, right?
Yes, the proper oil/ratio was used.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Seafoam’s web site is down but the main ingredient is IPA Isopropyl Alcohol, mineral oil and naphtha.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Seafoamís web site is down but the main ingredient is IPA Isopropyl Alcohol, mineral oil and naphtha.
Great.....all of which are much cheaper than Seafoam.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post

I would have to agree! There's no need to add anything to your 2cycle mix! Just use good, name branded oil, is all. Read the label! Most, if not all, of the good oil already contains fuel stabilizers and additives.
And I ain't talkin about that high dollar stihl stuff, just read the label.

To the Chile, sounds like ya thinned out the mix and cooked the piston.

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 01-26-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

IPA is the ingredient in HEET red bottle. Works vastly better.than.yellow bottle methonal.

Remember science class. 5 units of water + 5 units of IPA = less than 10 units.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I would have to agree! There's no need to add anything to your 2cycle mix! Just use good, name branded oil, is all. Read the label! Most, if not all, of the good oil already contains fuel stabilizers and additives.
And I ain't talkin about that high dollar stihl stuff, just read the label.

To the Chile, sounds like ya thinned out the mix and cooked the piston.
SO, tell me which magical oil you have found that will bond to ethanol without a proper additive to ... ..... (the word just left me) the two.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 AM

I love StarTron. I have been running it for years now in everything, including Marine engines. Kohler was ticking and sputtering and Star tron cleared that up when Sea foam had no effect. Echo trimmer was surging and cutting off during hot humid days. Startron fixed that problem too. I have tested it with and without and my equipment runs noticeably better with this additive. I only use 1/4 OZ in 2.5--5 gallon cans

Last edited by Charles; 01-27-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Charles...faith and testimonials do not fix engines...they boost sales...
I've used Startron in boats for years..it helps keep water out of the fuel during long periods of inactivity..
Mechanics is based on science...facts that can be proved...When the makers of these products can show me what they fixed..and how they fixed it...and also give. Me a list of the things their product can't do...
Then...I may give them some credence...
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Charles...faith and testimonials do not fix engines...they boost sales...
I've used Startron in boats for years..it helps keep water out of the fuel during long periods of inactivity..
Mechanics is based on science...facts that can be proved...When the makers of these products can show me what they fixed..and how they fixed it...and also give. Me a list of the things their product can't do...
Then...I may give them some credence...
Well I don't have any scientific evidence, just experience using the product. The mower was ticking and sputtering. Within one week of using ST the problem started fading away until it was completely gone. Stopped using it because I thought the problem was cured. The problem came back, so I just made ST a permanent add on to fuel. Same thing with the weedeater and hedge trimmer. All were having problems even though I use 89 octane. My equipment is out of use for 2 months out of the year. I dump all the fuel after the 2 months because of dirt accumulation in the bottom of the cans ie black specs etc