Register free!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Check out the UT Belo Center, it is some pretty gnarly stuff.
I thought you were married to the prettiest gal in Austin, wha'cha looking at gnarlies for?
Quote:
Jim- Totally agree, we always call in for the locate then double check with our own locating equipment. I have a policy that the man on the rock saw must locate all the utilities personally on site to double check the locate company.
You can't be too careful, that is a good policy to have and follow.
Quote:
If it is a large site (cluster) I go and do a locate also. We also ask for any blue prints for the site, and older prints if something was demoed.
Good calls, the damage not only comes out of your pocket but production suffers also

Quote:
Case and point, the picture I sent to you today was a locate on a private propane system for a resort. The company that was hired for the locate missed a leg of the propane line, which we would have trenched right through had we not checked. There were 8 500gal propane tanks linked together, that would have burned for a LONG time.
I like the 800 for sweep locates, there is no target ID that way but you know that there is a conductor in the ground and can refine the search for positive ID.

Glad to see a proactive attitude from a contractor!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMastersTx View Post
They are working on updating all the maps on campus and working on the communication between departments. From what I hear it has gotten better lately than before. It is just surprising what contractors try to do, but if you have ever driven on campus, tried to unload equipment, or park - you would understand more

The new Belo center has a nice rainwater collection area, but only useful if it ever rains.... On a side note, we do have another building that is just being irrigated with FIN water (AC condensation). We have reclaimed water lines throughout the campus and I hope to be able to attach irrigation systems to it within 5 years.
Nice to see....I was looking at using greywater for irrigation when i added onto my house, but coa made it into a bigger process than needed...so i gave up...
You guys got some drip irrigation on a large scale in turf?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That, and I just like locating. I used the 800 today in broadcast mode, in the middle of an "abandoned" pathway. The maintenance person said it was an abandoned nature trail, but some large limestone boulders looked suspect as the 5" wide gap through the middle of them screamed rock saw. Sure enough there were electrical lines running through it.

We WERE going to start a 6"wx36"d trench through there tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
That, and I just like locating. I used the 800 today in broadcast mode, in the middle of an "abandoned" pathway. The maintenance person said it was an abandoned nature trail, but some large limestone boulders looked suspect as the 5" wide gap through the middle of them screamed rock saw. Sure enough there were electrical lines running through it.

We WERE going to start a 6"wx36"d trench through there tomorrow.
Don't know anyone else who likes locatingd
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
FYI, Belo center collects condensate also.
Right but one of our building water is just from condensate, BME. Belo is a combination of the rain water, condensate and city water.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Nice to see....I was looking at using greywater for irrigation when i added onto my house, but coa made it into a bigger process than needed...so i gave up...
You guys got some drip irrigation on a large scale in turf?
Nothing in turf at the moment but will be in March at the new Liberal Arts building. Going to compare the drip vs spray on the bus circle to the east for the fountain.

CoA is working on changing their codes and we hope our input on reclaimed/gray water systems will be heard. CoA has the strictest codes in the country.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Nothing in turf at the moment but will be in March at the new Liberal Arts building. Going to compare the drip vs spray on the bus circle to the east for the fountain.

CoA is working on changing their codes and we hope our input on reclaimed/gray water systems will be heard. CoA has the strictest codes in the country.
CoA is tuff, but just because every inspector is different. McKinney TX is much harder, and don't get me started on WCID 17
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Curious, given the high amount of foot traffic, is there a drip only restriction on gray water use for irrigation?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I literally just walked through most of this campus a week ago. Trying to check out the texas ladies you got down there. It's a nice school and as the irrigation I saw it seemed to be in good shape. Except I hate the warm season grass you have down there. lol. I was in San antonio and took a day trip to austin by myself.

I also checked out the history of texas museum and watched the hobbit in imax next door.
Well, that explains how quick you finished off your dinner that night!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
Well, that explains how quick you finished off your dinner that night!
Haha

It was nice to meet you Rod!