Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
Lucky you she didn't't call the cops we some times have people call the cops just because the truck is one foot in front of their property
This has happened to me 3 to 4 times. Pull up and 2 feet in front of the neighbors property and they call the police. Turns out the neighbors are in a dispute over something and the contractor takes it. One of the little towns I was in post it in the newspaper on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My favorite is putting a dumpster in the drive.. Oh that gets the neighbors talking!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Main reason I stayed away from foreclosures. I did one a few years ago, the guy in charge of the property was an idiot, trying to cut corners anywhere he can, and the neighbors would always come up to me asking if I could do extra stuff to make it look decent, and just complaining nonstop. I drove by one day and I saw a neighbor trimming the trees.

I informed my contact, and he told me to go tell the neighbor that he's not allowed on the property. He didn't understand me when I told him that's not my job...

I'm happy to say I don't do forclosures anymore, unless I go through contacts that I've dealt with. U.S. Bank and they are VERY lenient I did a spring and fall cleanup on one foreclosure! And they paid good for plowing. $60/push with salt for your standard driveway.

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually love my HOA properties, pay is great and I don't have to move the rig. But I've had similar situations over the years... Couple times I've had an appointment or something come up and I have time to mow but had to leave then was coming back to finish the trimming. No more than pulled away and my phone was ringing wanting to know why I "skipped the trimming" this week, one of the homeowners phoned the 'president' and he promptly called me. After working for them for years now things like this don't happen much. Biggest issue with HOA's is what's been pointed out already, too many people with differing opinions on how things should be done, and watering (setting the sprinkler schedule) is my number one pain in the arse thing to deal with. Some are not satisfied that the lawns look good and are green, they still want the watering set the way THEY think it needs to be. Then things go to hell and I get blamed...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the original poster of this topic,
Let me explain myself because people tend to get off topic or think different things when they don't read the whole post. I work for a HOA company that manages a country club community. They hire us to keep the foreclosers up in the community. They are great to work for. These aren't your typical forecloses, they have been maintained since the owners left the house. The lawns are in great shape unlike most ran down foreclosers. They reason for my rant was a neighbor next to a home that we maintain called the HOA I guess because we didn't trim the shrubs fast enough. Well I have a news update!! When we were back over at the property picking up the limbs, the neighbor came out and started talking to me. Long story short, instead of being upset or mean to the lady knowing she was complaining about us, I spun it And walked her property with her and have her an estimate. Haha, she said she wants to start service in the spring and that she will be giving our name/number to others in the community that use the service she has now and said she can get them to switch to us since they aren't happy and that we do such a good job keeping up the foreclosers in their community. I really don't want to work for her considering she prob is impossible to please but I guess we will give it a try.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who knows she may turn out to be your best customer and refer many clients to you. Sometimes the ornery ones just want a little more attention.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I really don't want to work for her considering she prob is impossible to please but I guess we will give it a try.
You're probably right but yeah, I'd give it a try.

A lot of these neighbors just need to be ignored. For example, I have a nice job in a neighborhood with parking permitted on one side of the street only. So I park on the allowed side. One day a guy about thirty years old comes out from the house across the street and complains about my parking across from his house. Funny thing is it's his mom and dad's house and he's still living with them. What a loser.

Another time I'm there doing the job and it's so late in the day I'm going to finish in the dark. Same bozo comes over, stops me and begs me to mow his lawn. I'm thinking what kind of idiot is this.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

People are crazy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterCutter View Post

A lot of these neighbors just need to be ignored. For example, I have a nice job in a neighborhood with parking permitted on one side of the street only. So I park on the allowed side. One day a guy about thirty years old comes out from the house across the street and complains about my parking across from his house. Funny thing is it's his mom and dad's house and he's still living with them. What a loser.

Another time I'm there doing the job and it's so late in the day I'm going to finish in the dark. Same bozo comes over, stops me and begs me to mow his lawn. I'm thinking what kind of idiot is this.
He's the idiot that can't get or keep a job so he has to live at home with his parents.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterCutter View Post

Sure! But I'm going to have to charge you night rates.