Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch! Sry to hear about a loss like that! Was it a cheaper bid that came in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxmow View Post
I was out of the field for two years before I lost my largest single location contract and a smaller multi-location contract. Lost 100 grand a year on the same day. When that one tanked I cut my two maintenance crews down to one and went back into the field. Went from 7-8 employees down to me and 2. Been that way for two years now. Haven't tried to build it up again until this year. We will see how it goes.
I'm really sorry to hear this. I think this is a prime example of why owners are scared to step out of the field. Any advice for those of us (like myself) who are still in the field, but are looking to step out in the next few years?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Ouch! Sry to hear about a loss like that! Was it a cheaper bid that came in?
Posted via Mobile Device
The smaller group of properties was a cheaper bid. I did 5 properties and the other company had it for a year before they were canned too and the properties went out to individuals. I had a chance to talk to the area manager and she said that individuals were cheaper still and "bigger companies had too much overhead".

The larger property got sued by an old lady that fell on some crumbling concrete and broke her hip. They had to bring all of the concrete up to ADA standards and had to replace all the old handicap ramps, fix curbs and replace alot of sidewalks. They canned me and the existing management company for one that was smaller (one man show) and "also mows". 200 grand worth of work over two years.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The solo op that landed will quickly realize hes in over his head.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well after two years and all the concrete work the property got sold and now CBRE manages it. They called me back to bid it and afterword told me I was almost 3times higher than the company that they hired when they took over(and currently) doing it. One of the lowball hacks here in town is doing it Waaaay too cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one maintenance crew and haven't mowed grass in years. It all really depends on how much overhead you can afford to have (i.e. Owner salary, non-billable). Keep in mind though I am over 85% snow, and pretty much my entire overhead is paid for by snow.

And whenever an install job comes our way, I have to be onsite leading the project as I don't have anyone who is high skilled enough to take a hardscape job from start to finish successfully. But I don't focus on that, so the workload is not there to hire someone to take it on.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Well after two years and all the concrete work the property got sold and now CBRE manages it. They called me back to bid it and afterword told me I was almost 3times higher than the company that they hired when they took over(and currently) doing it. One of the lowball hacks here in town is doing it Waaaay too cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Let 'em.....they'll be out of business soon enough. Sounds like you'll be fine. I've run mostly solo since 2002, and may just stay this way. I am always advertising "help wanted" on my website, but only top performers will gain entrance to employment. Many say, "You'll never get that perfect diamond in the rough", but I'm okay with that because I don't really need employees that bad.
I really can't believe how someone can start with me making $30K the first year with no experience, but won't. Heck, my commission rate is 5% of GROSS SALES!!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I was out of the field for two years before I lost my largest single location contract and a smaller multi-location contract. Lost 100 grand a year on the same day. When that one tanked I cut my two maintenance crews down to one and went back into the field. Went from 7-8 employees down to me and 2. Been that way for two years now. Haven't tried to build it up again until this year. We will see how it goes.
You had 5-6 empliyees just for that $100k? Loosing that deal was a blessing for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
You had 5-6 empliyees just for that $100k? Loosing that deal was a blessing for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, but those two contracts were about a third of my gross. Actually let two guys go immediately and kept the other two until the end of that mowing year.