Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I see it has a max cut height of 5" that's got me intrigued as some of the Floratam I am cutting at 5" with either our Dixie Chopper, Exmark Lazer or Exmark Turf Tracer 36". I am starting a second truck this year and will need a 36" or smaller mower for the few gates and some tight lawns we service. As of now the plan will be to switch our Turf Tracer to the crew that needs it that day but this 30 could fit the bill if it pans out.

How does one change cut height?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've talked about this in the Toro residential posts. I have been told it will be within $100 of $1800. The Exmark will be much more over-built than the Toro.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cut height will change like a push mower, at all four wheels, or maybe the two at the back are linked together as well as the front, either way very easy. I personally cut a 2.5 90% of the time, at 5" thats a little odd, but depends on grass I geuss, I find on small yards any longer than 2.5 just looks shaggy, I know for larger lots its different, but 5" wow.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Cut height will change like a push mower, at all four wheels, or maybe the two at the back are linked together as well as the front, either way very easy. I personally cut a 2.5 90% of the time, at 5" thats a little odd, but depends on grass I geuss, I find on small yards any longer than 2.5 just looks shaggy, I know for larger lots its different, but 5" wow.
Yes it does depend on the grass. Proper cut height goes a long way. I will cut Bahia as low as 3 1/2" and there are some Floratam lawns I will cut as low as 4".

Here are 2 Floratam lawns I cut at 5".
Attached Images

Last edited by Greg78; 01-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
IDK, they put their name on the 26" mower which was a flop.
Posted via Mobile Device
The 26 is a great mower. However it was not designed for the southern warm season grasses in mind and that is where people say it is a flop. As for bagging cool season grass and cut quality it is a great mower. If your looking for a mulching mower it is not the one you go to.
I think Toro corp looked at its overall sales and said it was just not worth while to continue to make the 26 when the timemasters first year was such a huge success and the commercial world interested in a hearty version. Just like any new product it will take time to refine but the over all fiddle factor will be negligible in the overall time savings.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told yesterday that the 30in here would run $1799 while the 21x would be $1099. Said the 30in would not be available till mid to late February...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
but mulching long spring grass like people did with the timemaster is just a bad idea.
So what are you supposed to do? Why would you buy a mower that you know can't do the job?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
The 26 is a great mower. However it was not designed for the southern warm season grasses in mind and that is where people say it is a flop. As for bagging cool season grass and cut quality it is a great mower. If your looking for a mulching mower it is not the one you go to.
I think Toro corp looked at its overall sales and said it was just not worth while to continue to make the 26 when the timemasters first year was such a huge success and the commercial world interested in a hearty version. Just like any new product it will take time to refine but the over all fiddle factor will be negligible in the overall time savings.
They sure didn't mind trying to sell them in the south even though they didn't have southern grass in mind. Luckily I didn't buy one then and be the guinea pig, and I won't buy a 30 in either until its a proven machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a single speed mower? What's with that? I want infinitely variable hydro!!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro's personal pace is pretty nice, granted I haven't used one in two years. But I do regret buying the John Deere JS46 instead of another Toro. I will be fixing up an '07 22" Toro that I had, the bearings went bad and I just put it in the shed because I was feed up with little things breaking and the wheel bearings going bad on me in mid 2010 was the final straw.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN