Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Obviously if an employee's quality of work was unsatisfactory and we couldn't correct it then he would be let go.

I was just saying that I would reward employees who work hard and maybe do extra without being asked. At the same time I would deduct for times when slacking off or complaints came up.

As I am growing my business I am realizing that my customers are telling me more and more, "your employees just don't service my property like you did."
My job is my passion and happy customers and taking pride in my work is all the motivation I need. But the trick is motivating employees, especially if they are only here cause there was an opening. How can you get them excited about working for your company? How can you get them to share in the same passion to serve other people and work outside. I believe you give them responsibilities and reward positive and professional work ethics.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I can tell you from my own experience that your system not only will not work, but it will cause lots of extra headaches in the process.

My ex employer had an "accountability system" set up for broken tools and equipment. My question to you is this: If one of your guys breaks a shovel because of neglect and nobody sees him, will he tell the truth? In my experience, the answer in most cases is no. Especially if you have an amigo with no money already or an american that likes to drink or smoke in his free time.

My next question is this: How do you figure out if that shovel was broken from neglect or accidentally?

You can't make an irresponsible person responsible by throwing money at them. You can't make them show up to work on time either.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand your problem and I apologize for being blunt. Your main goal is to show the "better" employee that you see he is better, right? If it's not, it should be.

You need to find ways to give the best employees more opportunities for learning, experience, responsibility, and advancement. Yes, that involves pay increases, but instead of bonuses, create a clear structure for evaluation and raises and promotion.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe another point to remember. Not all employee's want to better themselves or advance. You cant fix stupid and sometimes there are employee's that just want to dig trenches and get a paycheck. When they break something or dont meet your expectations you need to ask yourself what do they want.

I will agree with green will. Make sure there is a "create a clear structure for evaluation and raises and promotion" so when that ditch diger comes to you and wants a raise not only do you have a clear plan but they will also see what is required of them to advance. Every employee is diffrent and not every employee will be able to ride along as your company grows, some will have to be kicked off the bus, others will have to droped off, and new ones picked up etc.

If you are worried about equipment damage and upkeep, it is pretty easy to spot accidents and outright "beating" on the equipment. Those people should be terminated immediatly regardless if it is small things or big things.

I learned the hard way. Asking them to stop, talking with them, training, etc. Does not work imo

A little public shaming usually will whip the other employee's in place.

Example at team meeting I might say--- Roger is no longer working here. I talked to him several times about being hard on equipment, and he chose to continue his behavior so he will no longer be workig here.

Then I tell them why it is important to them to take care of the equipment for the betterment of them and the company.

Money very rarely motivates ---doesnt matter if you pay them $5.00 or $50,000 to an employee who beats on or damages equipment---they will contiue the same behavior 9X out of 10

Last edited by zimmatic; 01-27-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Tags
employee pay