Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Guys that run your business from home?

What do you do about employees? We are looking at a house on 11 acres with a 1,900 sq. ft shop, and I really like the idea of my commute consisting of a few steps out my back door. The only thing I worry about is how would I handle employees with my shop being right next to my home? What do you guys do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you worry. The employees should be the ones worried cuz there could be someone watching the shop from the house..LOL.. Actually my shop is about 100ft. away from my house and it has worked out beautifully.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Workers come in the morning and we leave, we come back in the afternoon and they go home, no problem.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Turfbuilder & JB1,

Good to hear it's worked out for you guys. Sounds like I'm worried about nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My shop is next to the house and wouldn't have it any other way. Saves time which in turn saves money.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Iv done it both ways - it depends on how large you are, and if you have a family or not.

As a batchelor, I loved having the shop out my back door. But I also had way less employees. only 1-3 max.

I had a kid, and wife , then we got 6 employees, this started to cause problems. I was "at work" way too much because the shop was right outside the door. We also had problems with the guys not respecting personal space, and time. they would knock on the door at 6 am, and ask to use the bathroom. they would start up the equiptment and trucks at 6 am and wake the kids up (they were told to do it by me, but it still woke the kids up) Wife didnt always know all of them, and so it made her nervious that the guys would show up at home while im not around and she was home alone.

At some point your going to have that rotten egg for an employee. Even if you think everything is all good, at some point hire enough guys and you will come accross a bad one. you will have to fire him/her, and they will be disguntled for one reason or another. I had a guy steal fuel, I caught him. I kept his last paycheck as we reason to belive he had stollen way more than 1 tank. well he was upset that I didnt give him his last check. I explained that I was keeping it as a form of payment, and if he didnt like it we could go to the police. Well that made my wife nervious as hell for 3 weeks while i was gone.

We also had guy knock on my door at 5 pm at night on a sunday asking for random things, use the shop, get their paycheck early, and the list goes on.

As a bachelor the time savings was great, and the security was great being home. Once I had a family that all changed. I now care about whom my family is around, and their saftey as well.

I got a seperate shop, and a new house. I only live 5 mins away from my shop, but only my mechaninc knows where I live, and only he has my personal cell phone number. He has stick instructions not to give out that information and to only use that as he needs to. I go home at 5 pm every day, and have family time. I dont take business calls while im at home unless its an emergancy or a buisiness deal worth $2k plus, besides that the guys contact my mechanic if they need anything.

I personally like haveing the seperate shop better at this point in my life.

If you do have the shop at your house, I would figure out any rules that you need them to follow and make sure they know them so they respect your personal time and property.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great post, Seabee! My shop is right next to my house and I love it that way, but I totally agree with rules and boundaries. I don't have kids yet but I can see it would be handy to be able to do things in the shop while keeping an eye on the kids if your wife isn't around. I'm actually keeping an eye on the lot next to ours....it's perfect but I just can't justify another payment at this point.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My boys are up at 6:30 so that isn't an issue. Our issue is space, all our lawn/plowing equipment spread over two houses and 5 acres is rough. If I had 11 acres it wouldn't bother me as much. We're in the process of buying a piece of land for a dedicated shop. Mainly so my wife will stop complaining about the trucks/equipment in the front yard
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
At some point your going to have that rotten egg for an employee. Even if you think everything is all good, at some point hire enough guys and you will come accross a bad one. you will have to fire him/her, and they will be disguntled for one reason or another. I had a guy steal fuel, I caught him. I kept his last paycheck as we reason to belive he had stollen way more than 1 tank. well he was upset that I didnt give him his last check. I explained that I was keeping
it as a form of payment, and if he didnt like it we could go to the police. Well that made my wife nervious as hell for 3 weeks while i was gone.
This what worries me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do u worry about the saleability of the business down the road with the shop/yard at your house?
Posted via Mobile Device