Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ill most likley get a 1 ton so towing shouldent be a problem. its eather thr 259 or 279 when i decide to get one tho
Stihl handhelds
texas bragg trailers.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This thread makes my head hurt
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

million dollar advice for Connor

Sorry your thread got hijacked,280.00r. My answer to your original question is to approach equipment charges from the dealer perspective. I bid directly off of their weekly rental rates, add 12% for insurance, 7- 10 dollars/hr for fuel and then attachment rental charges. Here you go.

Bobcat t750 + bucket 1700.00 week
Attachment (rock hound) 400.00
12% ins (going rate) 252.00
40 hrs fuel@2 g/hr/3.50/g. 280.00
Delivery/pickup 125.00
Cleaning charge. 50.00

GT 2807.00 or 561.40 day or 70.00 per hour.
Never apologize for these charges. Too many guys leave equipment at 200 per day because they already "own it". Well you can't own it til you pay for it. And you can't pay for it til you charge accordingly. Don't be like so many others who can't afford repairs or lose the equipment to the bank because they left money on the table. Keep in mind that I run this equipment 4-5 days per week so these charges work for me. Also, 14 yrs is a bonus because you know that you dont know alot so you are willing to learn the right way. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

million dollar advice for Connor

Sorry your thread got hijacked, Connor. My answer to your original question is to approach equipment charges from the dealer perspective. I bid directly off of their weekly rental rates, add 12% for insurance, 7- 10 dollars/hr for fuel and then attachment rental charges. Here you go.

Bobcat t750 + bucket 1700.00 week
Attachment (rock hound) 400.00
12% ins (going rate) 252.00
40 hrs fuel@2 g/hr/3.50/g. 280.00
Delivery/pickup 125.00
Cleaning charge. 50.00

GT 2807.00 or 561.40 day or 70.00 per hour.
Never apologize for these charges. Too many guys leave equipment at 200 per day because they already "own it". Well you can't own it til you pay for it. And you can't pay for it til you charge accordingly. Don't be like so many others who can't afford repairs or lose the equipment to the bank because they left money on the table. Keep in mind that I run this equipment 4-5 days per week so these charges work for me. Also, 14 yrs is a bonus because you know that you dont know alot so you are willing to learn the right way. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't forget 35-40 an hour for yourself or employee operator. I charge 40.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cdqat1432 thanks for your anser and not just knocking me for being 14 I've decided to get a one ton pickup now instead of 45k+ for a skid I'd problay use a few times a month
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think anyone here is knocking you bud. We are all just offering solid advice to help you be successful, not get hurt, or end up in a lawsuit. You have way more drive then 99 percent of kids your age which is a huge asset for you. Keep up the hard work , make good investments, don't get in over your head in debt, and I guarantee by the time you are 25 you will have a solid business and be making a great living. In the mean time take some business, and marketing courses. These will help you more then you will ever know.

Best of luck,
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks TSS
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would add that price per hour really doesn't mean much except to the penny pinchers and price shoppers.

I probably an nearly 12,000 hours in a skidsteer and additional hours in other types of machines. I have a college degree (don't mean much in my line of work), 17 years of experience, highly insured, a bunch of really productive attachments and tools, and some would say I do a good job. My price per hour can and often does get beat by someone renting a machine with half the horsepower or by a competitor who knows my basic prices. If the other guy is $10/hr cheaper but has very little experience, little care for whether or not the job looks, good, has a MUCH less productive machine and has virtually no attachments, tools nor the ability to run them, was the customer better off saving $80/day?

The reality is there a ton of people who will do that and think they got a good deal and then when they call JimBob a few months later his phone is disconnected. That's the frustrating part about pricing. I personally have kept my prices about the same for the last 4 years partly to help people out in this economy and partly because I feel comfortable there. The problem is, I get a lot of calls wanting to know what I charge per hour.. I guess some things you can just do by the hour but I prefer to work by the day or for small stuff, by the half-day. For example, I'm on a job right now where I'm going to use a tree shear, mulcher, grapple, several buckets and a compactor to start. The customer knows my day price but that price includes hauling, setup, my insurance both workman's comp and liability, my knowledge, and the use of a bunch of tools. The rental place is about $300 cheaper for smaller machine and one attachment but you never know what's available and what condition it's in. What I'm carrying tree-wise with a 9,000lb machine versus a 6,000 pound machine proves I'm a lot more productive plus I'm more flexible than a cheap guy (or someone who relies on renting what's out available) could afford to be. I charge more because I'm in that machine every day and have owned plenty just like it so I know it like the back of my hand. That knowledge is worth something too because it equals more productivity if the owner-operator is competent and I believe I fall into that category.

I understand the need to get into the market but don't be the cheap guy! Practice first and work cheap for your buddies but go into the market armed with experience and knowledge and charge a price that will allow you to grow. If you are booked solid for months either you are the best in your area and everyone wants your services or you are too cheap. Less customers paying more will allow you to breathe and grow.

Hope this helps... It can get frustrating and I wish I could figure it ALL out.. I just know what works in my case.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We charge by the horsepower. 277C has 85 hp, so $85 per hour, and a bit more when applicable, like if someone refuses to pay the haul charge or the toll rate on top of the hauling, then we bump it up a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device