Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Flatbed with removable dovetail

I have been playing with the idea of getting rid of my trailers and going with a flatbed truck. Right now I have pickup trucks and rack dumps with landscape trailers and I use those trucks as plow trucks in the winter or use the rack trucks for clean up. The downside in going with a flatbed truck is that it only has one use. If I decide to go with the flatbed trucks with stationary dovetails I can't use those trucks for anything else. I've been doing some research and came across a company called Blue Ridge Manufacturing they make something called a grasspro RDT. This seems to me to be the best product on the market for removable dovetails. I thought this was a great idea because in the winter I can remove the tail put a salt spreader in the truck or even use the truck for cleanup and or mulch. Here is a link to see it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45J7R...e_gdata_player I was wondering if anyone has seen this in person and if you know the cost of something like this. Let me know your thoughts and or suggestions.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks neat - can you fit two ztrs on there with baggers? It would be tight!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much is that setup?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Funny you started a thead like this as i am currrently in the process of fabing up one of these! Were trying to get away from the trailers and go with a single truck we could use for mowing and also meet all of our landscape needs. From my research it seems that Wil-ro.com is the only company that professionally makes these other than the grass pro guy. But I'm not sure what company he's with? The ones from wil-ro do not require you to have a dump bed in order to attach them to your truck. I have some close up pictures of a removeable one I'm using to make my own if you were looking for some
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure if it didn't dump you could pop it off with the skid steer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerlawn View Post
Funny you started a thead like this as i am currrently in the process of fabing up one of these! Were trying to get away from the trailers and go with a single truck we could use for mowing and also meet all of our landscape needs. From my research it seems that Wil-ro.com is the only company that professionally makes these other than the grass pro guy. But I'm not sure what company he's with? The ones from wil-ro do not require you to have a dump bed in order to attach them to your truck. I have some close up pictures of a removeable one I'm using to make my own if you were looking for some
Posted via Mobile Device
The one thing I didn't like about wil-ro was all of the stands that were required to disconnect the dovetail. When I saw this one I fell in love with how easy it was to load and unload it. I'm thinking I would at least need a 16' bed plus the tail to fit two 61" bobcat riders and a 36" walk behind. I'm going to try and contact the company tomorrow to see if I can get more info.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking to do the same thing as well. Can't seem to find his website but I'd sure be interested in learning more.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyTree View Post
The one thing I didn't like about wil-ro was all of the stands that were required to disconnect the dovetail. When I saw this one I fell in love with how easy it was to load and unload it. I'm thinking I would at least need a 16' bed plus the tail to fit two 61" bobcat riders and a 36" walk behind. I'm going to try and contact the company tomorrow to see if I can get more info.
I like this one better than the Wil-Ro for the same reason. I guess the only downfall would be if you had debris on the truck that you wanted to keep on there but also remove the ramp section.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is the website but they don't have the removable dovetail on the site they only have the stationary one. http://www.blueridgemfg.com like I said I'll try and call tomorrow to get more info. Unfortunately they don't have distributors in NJ
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

will you post the price of these tomorrow when you find out? ironically, i have been searching online for about 2 hours tonight for a landscape/mowing bed...not a lot of info out there surprisingly for as popular as they are...the only one i came across was wil-ro as well