Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I won't be doing any water or meth but I'm slowly on my way to twin turbos.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
I won't be doing any water or meth but I'm slowly on my way to twin turbos.
Posted via Mobile Device
Even running nothing but distilled water is a great way to reduce EGT's and keep the engine free of any deposit buildup. Even just water will give you more power. All the guys who are way modified usually run water because it allows them to push more fuel.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I'll have to learn more about this process....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 2008 Dodge Dakota 3.7 v6 auto cc 103k+ miles
pulled 12k gvw quite a few times loaded the bed with 1500+ lbs very many times .
When not working my truck it has seen hoonigan four wheel drifts @70mph followed local car club cruise at 100+mph and rally coursed it
it also returns when easy on the the go peddle it gets 20 -25+mpg.
I would buy another Dodge.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Im a big Dodge fan. I have a 2500 and a 3500.
I realize that this is not a picture forum, but I was wondering if any of you have any pics of flat beds on your trucks. My 3500 has a dovetail and is a dedicated maintenance truck. I am interested in buying / building a flatbed or potentially a dump that will be mostly used for towing the skidsteere and attachments and landscaping materials.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Let the oil fields or the mining operations have a Dodge and see how long it lasts

Ford trucks are bought by Mining companies and other resource based operations for a reason. For one Dodge has a very unreliable 4wheeldrive system the axle interlock isn't reliable you need manual hubs. Dodge has bad problems with wheelbearings. Dodge uses cheap sheet metal that cracks and fails.

If you are using a truck for offroad use like mining operations don't buy a Dodge if your truck never leaves pavement maybe a Dodge is okay. There are trucks in resource based industry that never see a paved road. Some were bought brandnew took into a Coastal gravel mine where the only access is by boat. Same with forestry operations. The trucks run on rough roads and on sharp blast rock which is hard on tires and beats the h*ll out of the truck.

You Dodge lovers can keep your truck I seen what happens to Dodge truck when used for serious work they fall apart. If you have resource based operations using almost exclusively Ford it must say something and no its not because they are cheaper. Ford is one of the most expensive truck to buy Dodge is always 4-5 grand less even diesels.

I LAUGH so frigging hard when you guys brag about your Dodge working hard. Put it in a forestry bush camp or a mine for a year and see how well it does see if it comes back out of camp in one piece.

You look at some of the older Fords 92-97 F-350 4x4 SRW trucks that have had heavy loads on them all the time the overload spring tips are almost worn right through. The bump stops are worn thin. The F-350 4x4 dually service trucks that haven't seen a day since new with 4000lbs of welding gear on its back since new. These trucks were bought as cab and chassis a steel welding deck was put on then a gas powered compressor along with a 400 amp gas welder and toolboxes. Some of these old Fords are 84-86 and have spent all their life in tough conditions.

Untill Dodge lives up to that which they never have and never will you can't class a Dodge as a work truck.

What resource industries do to their work trucks make tough truck competitions look like a cake walk.
How do you explain the 6.0, 6.4, and the Cummins being Fords engine of choice in the F650-F750?

Also how do you explain there being at least three companies like Destroked that make their living by yanking 6.0s & even 6.4's in favor of 5.9's & 6.7's. Let see.... hmmm... how may companies sole source of income is putting Powerstrokes in GM trucks or Rams. I think the number is zero which says a lot.

I had one of Fords Holly Grail 7.3's in a 97' F250. It died at about 174K. The 12 valve you could get in a Dodge in 97' was easily twice the motor. With injectors, a turbo, and a few other tricks the stock block, pistons, and rods could handle 1000 HP. That kind of output would rip the weak 7.3 block to shreds.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Since you mentioned pictures here is my first Dodge Diesel. This truck had too many mods to list. Before I put my Spearco Intercooler and CFM intake on it made 450 HP & 983 TQ at the rear wheels on the dyno. With the extra parts it was probably bumped closer to 500 & 1100. In factory crank numbers that would be about 600 & 1250+. This truck had 180K on it when I sold it.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is my current 09' Ram. After spending over $30K on mods on my 02' I swore I would never do that again. I had spent about $10K on bumpers, wheels, Airdog, ARP 625's, AFE ProDry, Tool Box, Cover King Seat Covers, AGR discs and blue printed front calipers with coated pistons, Smarty, Edge CS gauges, 5" TBE, EGR Delete, Uni-Goose, Rhino Liner and then I finally had tranny issues with my 68RFE.

The problem was just a worn valve body but I went ahead and had a Suncoast M3GA Jr. rebuild done with billet input shaft, billet flex plate, and Suncoast converter. Now the trans can handle 650 HP so I'm able to run my Smarty on the +176 setting which probably puts me around 550 crank HP. Now I have about $19K in mods and blew my intended budget all to hell. I'll probably keep this truck for ten years so it's not that big of a deal.

Now I'm pondering a Snow Performance water/meth Millage Max to help keep EGT's down.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
How do you explain the 6.0, 6.4, and the Cummins being Fords engine of choice in the F650-F750?

Also how do you explain there being at least three companies like Destroked that make their living by yanking 6.0s & even 6.4's in favor of 5.9's & 6.7's. Let see.... hmmm... how may companies sole source of income is putting Powerstrokes in GM trucks or Rams. I think the number is zero which says a lot.

I had one of Fords Holly Grail 7.3's in a 97' F250. It died at about 174K. The 12 valve you could get in a Dodge in 97' was easily twice the motor. With injectors, a turbo, and a few other tricks the stock block, pistons, and rods could handle 1000 HP. That kind of output would rip the weak 7.3 block to shreds.
Golf Clap
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I almost forgot my ace in the hole. The Ram with a Cummins is the best selling Diesel truck in Canada and it's been that way for a while.