Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's just hard to believe that there is that much difference in cost of living between here and there.I'm seeing guys here charging 25/30 mn/hr just crazy!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I AM in the south....and yep....man hours here are also 60-75. It is called knowing your cost. Factor in your fuel...your oil...your belts...your misc repairs....blades....advertising....office expenses (even small guys have this)....not to mention license...liability ins....auto ins ( the commercial type)...workers comp.... if you can work and cover cost at 30 pmh.....you havent truely looked at your cost. Hell...8 years ago it cost me $20 an hr just for the mower...not including the man sitting on it! Lowballers dont have to low ball to get business. You can still get business and be respectable to the industry...just be willing to lose a bid here and there...i will take my one $70 pmh over your 3 $30pmh any day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wholeheartedly agree on all of that post. ↑
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
I AM in the south....and yep....man hours here are also 60-75. It is called knowing your cost. Factor in your fuel...your oil...your belts...your misc repairs....blades....advertising....office expenses (even small guys have this)....not to mention license...liability ins....auto ins ( the commercial type)...workers comp.... if you can work and cover cost at 30 pmh.....you havent truely looked at your cost. Hell...8 years ago it cost me $20 an hr just for the mower...not including the man sitting on it! Lowballers dont have to low ball to get business. You can still get business and be respectable to the industry...just be willing to lose a bid here and there...i will take my one $70 pmh over your 3 $30pmh any day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your solo though! You can't charge that with a crew!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why couldn't you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I built a spreadsheet for calculating my minimum charge for properties. It calculates my fuel cost for mower and vehicle up to $4.50/gallon, labor to pay a helper(if needed), mowing time based on acres/hour. I also factor in as a cost for replacement and maintenance of my equipment - example is a $8000 mower that I would replace at approx. 2000 hours will be $4/mowing hour to replace. I add in a little extra for maintenance, insurance, licenses, etc. I also have a minimum hourly rate (including travel) to clear after all of this is calculated. I'm working on another spreadsheet along the same lines to do apps since I've started offering that this year.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.

Last edited by Nate'sLawnCare; 01-28-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Why couldn't you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Because nobody is going to pay two guys $70 to spend 30 mins on their lawn ! At least not anybody with any sense!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Because nobody is going to pay two guys $70 to spend 30 mins on their lawn ! At least not anybody with any sense!
Im with you on that. I have some lawns that take a half hour with 4 guys. There is no way I can charge $140.00. I would be out of business.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's kind of the same concept as when guys buy newer/better equipment, they think their price should go up. Business owners know how to figure costs and to trim fat to keep operations lean and expand margins. To the guys making $70 PMH if I could get away with it I'd charge that much as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
It's kind of the same concept as when guys buy newer/better equipment, they think their price should go up. Business owners know how to figure costs and to trim fat to keep operations lean and expand margins. To the guys making $70 PMH if I could get away with it I'd charge that much as well.
If I were solo I would charge $70/pmh, that's just $35 for your avg lawn! We try to get $75/pmh on cleanouts.