Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes ztnan it is sle equipment out of Nashville tn. And ray I so agree with you I ha e prayed for almost 2 years to make the right choices on this matter I have a great job at the new Volkswagen facility I. Chattanooga tn. But it just consumes every waking minute of mine and my fiances life we both work their. And its a hour and ten minute drive one way. And I just know this will give me a sense of freedom and relief at something we both love to do and I'm very well known and liked in my town and well now god has made a way for me to be able to buy all my equipment cash and actually be able to enjoy life and have time with my daughter and family because my job now I have no time eat sleep and Volkswagen isy life now and its miserable!! And I know a lot of people don't see it this way but he is my rock and I know he will make me successful with hard work quality work and determination!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have a back up mower buy new. Less chance of down time.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

You will probably make more money at the volks plant, but I understand the quality of life issue. I have found I work more hours at lawn care than I ever did at a job, but I am happier working for myself.
I use Scag and have very good luck with it. Toro has raised their prices so much the Scag is no more expensive. Scag is built like a tank. Scag will not clump is damp or tall grass, but Toro gives a better cut under ideal conditions. Redmax is supposed to be good, but I have had great luck with Stihl.
Good luck. You will be successful if you work hard. Very hard and long hours.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually i'm just making 14.00 a hour at volkswagen and i work 10 hours and 45 minute shift with 2 and a half hours of drive time to and from work. so im basically working for around 9 bucks a hour their. not to mention i spend nearly 400 a month in gas blah!! lol I have talked to the guys at sle equipment in nashville tn and told them my plans and budget and i do believe ive decided on going with a package with them here is the package but the backpack blower will be the full commercial husqvarna this package is 7899.99 plus tax which out the door im looking 8500.00 and the 3000 series toro package was i think 8499.00 plus tax but he recommended the 2000 series for what im doing. here's a video of the package only the backpack blower will be a husqvarna. SOOO good choice guys???? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq8_J9TAiW0
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Id go for the toro 3000 Series package. Its a little beefier and not too much more.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let me back you way up, are you quitting your job at the plant? Because how are you going to mow lawn if you are spending 13 hours a day, 5 days a week at the plant?

Definitely get COMMERCIAL equipment, but get yourself a walkbehind. You are in Texas, so if your cutting wide open areas I would understand the need for a ZTR.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Cowboys no I'm not quitting right away and I work different days but never more than 4 days in a row mostly 2 on 2 off so I will schedule my appointments in days off and when need be my brother in-law will handle any if I need him to he works for a big lawn care company part time in a different area. And the package I'm getting is commercial I posted a video for you guys also I'm in Tennessee not Texas lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just make sure you have enough money left over for insurance, licensing requirements, business set-up and all the other expenses that come with operating a business. I'd highly recommend meeting with an attorney and accountant to make sure you get things set up properly. And don't forget to have a little extra on hand for any other expenses that might pop up.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes Ive set aside 2500.00 for pop ups. Also any idea on my best route to go with the insurance Darryl?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well...insurance can be tricky at first. A lot of companies want a minimum of 3 years experience and claims history before they will insure you. Also, not all companies operate in all areas. I ended up going with a local independent agent and National Grange Mutual as the underwriter at first but am with Peerless now. Grange accepted by construction oversight/management experience in my former career as relevant experience. Who you go with will be limited somewhat by what you choose to do...whether you're going to do tree work, pesticide applications, snow removal, etc. I have my larger equipment insured for loss and a 1 mil/2 mil aggregate liability policy. Also if you're going to be using a personal truck for the business be sure to get a rider on your policy for business use of it.