Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Sure no problem, I wont be raising my price this year by 5%. There is your 5% reduction.
Otherwise I take it off my services somewhere, if they complain tell em thats what they get for less.
This is exactly what I did several years ago when natural gas went out of sight. I was maintaining a heat treating company and went in with a new yearly contract with a 5% increase. The manager handed me a letter from their parent company asking all vendors to cut their prices by 10%. He said if I would keep my prices where they were he would sign it now...I signed for another year.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

We get this request a lot here in Ireland, but its usually 20-40%! We just cut out additional services and give a basic rate. All the things that were included in the original contract are extras now. Another thing we did was invest in an amazone profihopper, this enables us to cut grass every three weeks in the growing season, thus reducing costs for us and the client.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Not being nosy, but what is the final cost you'll be out for giving the 5% break? $50 $100 bucks? Just make it back up somewhere else with them...
It's going to be a little over a thousand bucks. They're my second biggest client so I need to keep them.
I'm just going to keep my head down for now. You know, "to get along you go along." Plus they did give me a pile of construction materials I was wantnig last year, worth a whole lot more than that.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I'd reduce the price and find a place to reduce my time on the property by at least that much.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd take the 5% hit to keep a $20k account.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Go for it

Yes give the 5% and thank them for their continued support, also look at ways to reduce their costs further. What you don't want is them going out to tender. Its best to be under the radar, keep your head and do a good job. At the end of the day is only $19.23 per week less. Regards
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you know what it takes to run it...and feel u have 5% to give... fine. I just rebid a 20k job....i wasnt the low bid but was the contracto for last 3 years. My work has been top notch and they said so. They asked if i could.."sharpen my pencil". I said no....and went into detail about whag all insurance i carry....about my uniforms my crew wears..and the lettering on the truck. Not to mention...
I know the property and what it takes...and my numbers represent what it takes for me to leave them wirh a professional job each week. I got the bid back based on my quality. I will take quality over quantity any day. Big box store called and wanted me to take two stores in my area...sent me pricing...i called back and said not for these prices. She said what will it take...i told her. She said she would have to keep looking as we were really far off. Two weeks later she called back and met my numbers. Bottom line....i didnt get into business to be a public service....i did it to make a living. Covering expenses doesnt make a living. Guys....letting others dictate our prices only hurts us.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
It's going to be a little over a thousand bucks. They're my second biggest client so I need to keep them.
I'm just going to keep my head down for now. You know, "to get along you go along." Plus they did give me a pile of construction materials I was wantnig last year, worth a whole lot more than that.
I don't blame you. I think you're doing the right thing and it sounds like a big job and would do the same thing...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Not a chance! My prices go up 10% every year. NONE of my costs go down. Why should I eat increased costs and reduced revenue? I'm running a business not a charity. But I'm in Canada and the economy is booming here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope
Posted via Mobile Device