Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

new equipement selection help...

OK so I've ventured off on my own Into the irrigation world... its actually an add-on service to my landscaping.company.... questions is.. I'm buying all new equipement this year what is my must haves and what brands and models would u reccomend... I want to be able to solve any problems I stumble upon in the field. I'm been looking at the armada equipement???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

For sprinkler repair and replacement of solenoids you don't need much specialty equipment. A shovel and a continuity tester is the most important. A wire tracer would be nice but I don't have one.
I do almost $100,000 of sprinkler repair and all I have is shovel, continuity test, PVC pipe cutter, and glue. I use a cargo van to carry supplies. Going to the store for parts will kill you. You can't charge for the time you are at the store and travel time to the store and back. A van was the best thing I bought.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Down here we basically need equipement for tracing wires.... finding valves, breaks in wires... id also like to be able.to locate main lines and pipes if possible..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
Down here we basically need equipement for tracing wires.... finding valves, breaks in wires... id also like to be able.to locate main lines and pipes if possible..
Posted via Mobile Device
Being a "professional" is about client trust. A client has a substantial investment in an irrigation system and they pay for and expect "professional treatment" by someone that can analyze and evaluate problematic situations and resolve them with the clients ROI being one of their main considerations.

Having quality test equipment and knowledge should be the rule rather than the exception but as you see, it is not.

I sent you a pm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Excatky! That's why instead of poking around the homeowners property half the day looking for boxes...id rather have the equipement that takes.me straight to.it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
Excatky! That's why instead of poking around the homeowners property half the day looking for boxes...id rather have the equipement that takes.me straight to.it
Posted via Mobile Device
Buying the right equipment is one thing, learning to use it another. Learning to make it do what you want it to do is a totally different task which requires time and dedication.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep that's why id like opinions on Equipment that's easy to learn, use, but also have more capabilities to learn as I get used to it... something maybe like the armada pro800..., what kind of multi meter? Any other tools that may help out as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree the Armada Pro800 is a nice locator, but so is the 521. But the problem with both is if you dont know how to use it they are worthless. A 800 is just like a 521, or even a small 508 it takes time to learn how to be accurate and precise with them. Something that can not be learned from a book. I carry two multi meters, one is a clamp meter from Armada, belive its a model 92, I use it for 2 wire systems on Milli amps and then I carry a nice milwaukee meter that is "water resistant" and thats my go to tool for wiring issues. Like everything practice makes perfect. I have both a 800 and 521 locator, my tech is way better with the 800 than the 521 but I can do more most of the time with the 521 compaired to the 800. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should purchase a boring attachment for going under driveways, then you can purchase my 3 1/2" back rimmer. (I think that is what they call them)

Listen to what Jim is saying

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Theres been more than a few times I've needed a boring.machine...u can't even rent anything around.here that can bore
Posted via Mobile Device