Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
I would stay away from the toro 30. Ive heard nothing but bad from people who have used them. I was planning on getting one and decided against it. Look at honda.
Posted via Mobile Device
We have one of the Toro 30's. It's been a PITA! It does leave a real nice cut for a smaller mower though. We run all toro's, so we are going to try out the new commercial Toro 30" in the spring. Saw one at the dealer and it looked good, but it's all about performance!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I serve most of that area. Competitive market but plenty of business to be had if you do a good job. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
I also service a lot of that area, definitely plenty of money and more than enough work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockmanLawnscape View Post
We have one of the Toro 30's. It's been a PITA! It does leave a real nice cut for a smaller mower though. We run all toro's, so we are going to try out the new commercial Toro 30" in the spring. Saw one at the dealer and it looked good, but it's all about performance!
I am looking at a Toro or xmark 30" as well. Turned down way too much business last spring with small gated fenced in yards. I hate turning away any new business in neighborhoods I currently service. As a solo operator pushmowing these yards are a time killer. If my Grandstand did not fit through the gate it was a no go. I used to haul around a 36" or 33" mower, but neither one seemed to fit my needs so I sold them off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I am looking at a Toro or xmark 30" as well. Turned down way too much business last spring with small gated fenced in yards. I hate turning away any new business in neighborhoods I currently service. As a solo operator pushmowing these yards are a time killer. If my Grandstand did not fit through the gate it was a no go. I used to haul around a 36" or 33" mower, but neither one seemed to fit my needs so I sold them off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea the 30 inch mowers are great. Well, the idea I great. Hopefully the actual product improves with the commercial ones. It has saved us so much time at some places. The residential one just isn't built to take a beating throughout the year. Being solo though, you might be fine with the residential one since you can take care of the equipment yourself. I can't always control how much our guys beat up ours lol
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, looks like I am the third guy coming to the Pitt area. I had a few questions too. I am planning on doing lawns and trees as I do now here in Austin Texas, but was wanting to get into snow blowing for the winter, any of you guys do this? We are looking at the Butler area to move to, is this a nice area for yard work? Also, how long is the mowing season up there? Down here it is May to Nov or so, but it can slow down in July and Aug do to drought. I too will be getting insured and doing everything right, this being said, what is a fair price for the average lawn up there? Down here I would say it is 30-40, but there is always a illegal alien who will do lawns for half this! And when customers see my price they say, "the last guy did it for half that", which I would always reply "then call him". But they couldn't because he was usually out of business.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

when are you guys doing your first fert. for this season? what are you going to use.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
Wow, looks like I am the third guy coming to the Pitt area. I had a few questions too. I am planning on doing lawns and trees as I do now here in Austin Texas, but was wanting to get into snow blowing for the winter, any of you guys do this? We are looking at the Butler area to move to, is this a nice area for yard work? Also, how long is the mowing season up there? Down here it is May to Nov or so, but it can slow down in July and Aug do to drought. I too will be getting insured and doing everything right, this being said, what is a fair price for the average lawn up there? Down here I would say it is 30-40, but there is always a illegal alien who will do lawns for half this! And when customers see my price they say, "the last guy did it for half that", which I would always reply "then call him". But they couldn't because he was usually out of business.
Thanks for any advice.
Welcome! your pretty close on your numbers and times for mowing but we usually start mowing in april. last year it was the second week of march. butler isnt a bad area but southern butler near cranberry has more work and more money than northern butler. the farther north you go the farther apart yards are
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

We looked at homes in Cranberry and they were to rich for me. Southern Butler and Evans City are the exact areas we are looking at. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
We looked at homes in Cranberry and they were to rich for me. Southern Butler and Evans City are the exact areas we are looking at. Thanks.
Theyre not bad areas but from my experience the money isnt in those areas
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Evans city is right next to mars/zelienople/cranberry... you should be able to find work. Anyone have a trailer for sale or know someone who does? Have a buddy looking to buy. Enclosed or open works

Tags
n'at!