Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1101  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
StockmanLawnscape StockmanLawnscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
I would stay away from the toro 30. Ive heard nothing but bad from people who have used them. I was planning on getting one and decided against it. Look at honda.
Posted via Mobile Device
We have one of the Toro 30's. It's been a PITA! It does leave a real nice cut for a smaller mower though. We run all toro's, so we are going to try out the new commercial Toro 30" in the spring. Saw one at the dealer and it looked good, but it's all about performance!
Reply With Quote
  #1102  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Pressedun Pressedun is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 32,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I serve most of that area. Competitive market but plenty of business to be had if you do a good job. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
I also service a lot of that area, definitely plenty of money and more than enough work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1103  
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockmanLawnscape View Post
We have one of the Toro 30's. It's been a PITA! It does leave a real nice cut for a smaller mower though. We run all toro's, so we are going to try out the new commercial Toro 30" in the spring. Saw one at the dealer and it looked good, but it's all about performance!
I am looking at a Toro or xmark 30" as well. Turned down way too much business last spring with small gated fenced in yards. I hate turning away any new business in neighborhoods I currently service. As a solo operator pushmowing these yards are a time killer. If my Grandstand did not fit through the gate it was a no go. I used to haul around a 36" or 33" mower, but neither one seemed to fit my needs so I sold them off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1104  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
StockmanLawnscape StockmanLawnscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I am looking at a Toro or xmark 30" as well. Turned down way too much business last spring with small gated fenced in yards. I hate turning away any new business in neighborhoods I currently service. As a solo operator pushmowing these yards are a time killer. If my Grandstand did not fit through the gate it was a no go. I used to haul around a 36" or 33" mower, but neither one seemed to fit my needs so I sold them off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea the 30 inch mowers are great. Well, the idea I great. Hopefully the actual product improves with the commercial ones. It has saved us so much time at some places. The residential one just isn't built to take a beating throughout the year. Being solo though, you might be fine with the residential one since you can take care of the equipment yourself. I can't always control how much our guys beat up ours lol
Reply With Quote
  #1105  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
cmos123 cmos123 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 72
Wow, looks like I am the third guy coming to the Pitt area. I had a few questions too. I am planning on doing lawns and trees as I do now here in Austin Texas, but was wanting to get into snow blowing for the winter, any of you guys do this? We are looking at the Butler area to move to, is this a nice area for yard work? Also, how long is the mowing season up there? Down here it is May to Nov or so, but it can slow down in July and Aug do to drought. I too will be getting insured and doing everything right, this being said, what is a fair price for the average lawn up there? Down here I would say it is 30-40, but there is always a illegal alien who will do lawns for half this! And when customers see my price they say, "the last guy did it for half that", which I would always reply "then call him". But they couldn't because he was usually out of business.
Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote
  #1106  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
lawn2012start lawn2012start is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 58
when are you guys doing your first fert. for this season? what are you going to use.
Reply With Quote
  #1107  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
McG_Landscaping's Avatar
McG_Landscaping McG_Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 14,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
Wow, looks like I am the third guy coming to the Pitt area. I had a few questions too. I am planning on doing lawns and trees as I do now here in Austin Texas, but was wanting to get into snow blowing for the winter, any of you guys do this? We are looking at the Butler area to move to, is this a nice area for yard work? Also, how long is the mowing season up there? Down here it is May to Nov or so, but it can slow down in July and Aug do to drought. I too will be getting insured and doing everything right, this being said, what is a fair price for the average lawn up there? Down here I would say it is 30-40, but there is always a illegal alien who will do lawns for half this! And when customers see my price they say, "the last guy did it for half that", which I would always reply "then call him". But they couldn't because he was usually out of business.
Thanks for any advice.
Welcome! your pretty close on your numbers and times for mowing but we usually start mowing in april. last year it was the second week of march. butler isnt a bad area but southern butler near cranberry has more work and more money than northern butler. the farther north you go the farther apart yards are
__________________
2008 F250 Superduty - EZ Dumper
2008 F250 Superduty - EZ Dumper
2003 F350 Superduty
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Reply With Quote
  #1108  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM
cmos123 cmos123 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 72
We looked at homes in Cranberry and they were to rich for me. Southern Butler and Evans City are the exact areas we are looking at. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #1109  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
McG_Landscaping's Avatar
McG_Landscaping McG_Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 14,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
We looked at homes in Cranberry and they were to rich for me. Southern Butler and Evans City are the exact areas we are looking at. Thanks.
Theyre not bad areas but from my experience the money isnt in those areas
__________________
2008 F250 Superduty - EZ Dumper
2008 F250 Superduty - EZ Dumper
2003 F350 Superduty
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Reply With Quote
  #1110  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
planetlc's Avatar
planetlc planetlc is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 121
Evans city is right next to mars/zelienople/cranberry... you should be able to find work. Anyone have a trailer for sale or know someone who does? Have a buddy looking to buy. Enclosed or open works
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
n'at!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.09883 seconds with 10 queries