Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze/Thaw View Post
Thank you so much for the laughs. I haven't laughed so hard since Jeffrey Ross roasted Emmit Thomas! That spread sheet is hillarious.

I'm sure we all value our time, some more than others. Your customer clearly stated what he was looking for and it was up to you to provide that info. or move on. You chose to hang on and assume some sort of victim role, which is common in our field.
Actually bud I didn't hang on. My initial proposal was as far as I went. He sent that email after receiving the proposal. If you notice, I posted the email from him where he says "did you get my spread sheet". That's because I provided him with no further pricing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of my all-time favorites! I thought many of the newbies here at Lawnsite would get a good kick out of this.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good read. I gave an estimate last season for a bunch of grading hauling and concrete. I think the total was $18k. He says can you take off 15%? I said why? Blank stares from both of us, awkward silence, shook hands, and left.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you charging for labor? $20 an hour total or $20 an hour per person, cuz even at that price that is dirt cheap. I charge $40 an hour per person with my crew. I don't see how he could possibly find somebody cheaper. It sort of sounds like you may need to spell it out for him a little better as he seems like he's smart but at the same time a dumbass. And possibly drop your price just a little bit. no way in hell I would work for three days for a thousand bucks tho. that dude is crazy.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by throopguy21 View Post
What are you charging for labor? $20 an hour total or $20 an hour per person, cuz even at that price that is dirt cheap. I charge $40 an hour per person with my crew. I don't see how he could possibly find somebody cheaper. It sort of sounds like you may need to spell it out for him a little better as he seems like he's smart but at the same time a dumbass. And possibly drop your price just a little bit. no way in hell I would work for three days for a thousand bucks tho. that dude is crazy.
When I received his email with the attached spreadsheet I became rather silent for the most part and I stopped setting forth any further efforts into his project. Normally I call people and I e-mail them, I review the numbers, and I do what I can to close the deal. But this guy was so off his rocker that really, what kind words could I find to say to him? My silence to his e-mails had to have ate away at him to some extent afterall he put all that work into the emails and the spreadsheet.

But I did do some calculating in my head. I think his $20 / hr is per employee. Because 2 employees at 8 hr days equals $320. $320 x 3 days = rounds off to $1000! That does not even allow for labor burden!

The man was sorta on the right track with job costing, he had the concept. Yet, so far off base.

There probably were some places I could have lowered the cost if I really wanted to. Glad I didnt. This is one i'll never forget.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

however, I think he could price better than some guys who actually do the work! HA!