Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Gonna try again!

I posted here last year that I was starting up a lawn service last spring, It didn't happen. Me and my wife had a baby in May , then i swapped jobs. The new job wouldn't allow me any time for a side business. Now I'm back to my old job and wanting to start a lawn service again! I'm even farther behind than I was last year! My truck also died last April ( damn Ram trans! ). But I'm not afraid or ashamed of pulling a little trailer with my Altima! One day I'd like to do this full time ( I think, I've never mowed lawns as a full time job but I've always wanted to be my own boss, love cutting grass! I guess we'll see) but I'll just start small and see where I can take it. Still looking for a good used push mower, 36" walkbehind, and used blower. Any advise from any old timers or guys that started at the bottom to get to a self sufficient solo op would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found an Echo PB500t blower and an Echo 225 trimmer for sale ( both used) they look very clean. The blower almost looks new! they both run good. The guy is asking $325 for the pair, but I think he will take $300. Sound like a decent deal?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, i figured I better get the blower and trimmer. I'm a little scepticle of used handhelds but they are in great shape. Also if I missed out on these two, I know I wouldt be able to afford new echo equipment. The guy I bought them from also has echo edger, echo hedge trimmer, and 2 Honda 21" w/ bagger. I just spent what I have to invest this week, but I still have my eye on these! Slowly getting my equiptment together, and hopefully I will pay for it all as I go. Next I have to get some flyers/door hangers and start pounding the pavement. Having a job you hate can be a great motivation to get a business up on its feet.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your best bet is to do anything that someone requires in the green industry... you never know where your big break will come from... my big break was someone interestted in gardening service and not so much the mowing... I left the bronze and iron neighborhoods and became prominent in the gold and silver neighborhoods... have fun with it... people can tell the difference from those who do it,,, becuz they have to, and those who do it becuz they enjoy it...

Ever notice how you feel after doing business with someone who has an ugly attitude or ugly outlook on life??? Don't be that guy to your clients and you'll enjoy the benefits of a decent carreer... I see too many people starting a business and they're so focussed on grubbing for nickels and dimes that they never see the big picture... good luck to you...
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck! Treat every yard as if it was at a million dollar house and do your best work. Good things will come to you.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I plan to offer lawn mowing, including edging trimming and blowing. I also plan to get a pressure washer and offer pressure washing also. I do enjoy this kind of work, I think it would be a great business to be it full time. I know it's not all rainbows and sunshine, buy no job is perfect all the time. And Bill, I plan to treat every yard like it was at a million dollar house, cut no corners. The way I see it, if I don't bid a job high enough to be able to do it right I am bidding too low!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT25 View Post
I plan to offer lawn mowing, including edging trimming and blowing. I also plan to get a pressure washer and offer pressure washing also. I do enjoy this kind of work, I think it would be a great business to be it full time. I know it's not all rainbows and sunshine, buy no job is perfect all the time. And Bill, I plan to treat every yard like it was at a million dollar house, cut no corners. The way I see it, if I don't bid a job high enough to be able to do it right I am bidding too low!
What area are you in???? Im over in Pell City.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I live on Hoover. What areas do you work in?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about buying a new walk behind mower, that would be all I would let myself finance. I want a 36 in wb. I have a ferris dealer, a exmark, and a scag dealer that are pretty close to me. Any recomendations?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT25 View Post
I live on Hoover. What areas do you work in?
All my work is in Pell City mostly lake fromt homes.

Ive got a 36" BOP single hydro in almost new condition 15hp kawasaki Id be willing to sell.