Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fire Ants

This little pile of bags cost $1375. If you are in the strip from Texas thru the Carolinas and points south your in fire ant country. This product is Top Choice and it's an easy sell to any client who has been swarmed by fire ants. One application is good for a year.

This product is now been listed as Restricted Use by the EPA so if your a I buy my stuff from Home Depot type guy with no license your SOL. The profit for spreading this stack of bags should exceed $2300.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

USDOT Numbers

I didn't think I needed USDOT numbers since I was only doing intrastate driving and was not for hire like a hot shot type guy. I've driven to the Houston area from Austin a half dozen times and down through San Antonio a bunch of times and have never had any issues. I've hauled both my triple axle gooseneck and my 20' dump in Austin too many times to count.

Today my number came up and I was pulled over be APD Weights and Measures. The guy told me I had to get a Interstate Operating Authority number that was basically like creating an account that keeps track of my companies driving record. It was a quick online registration for my DOT/Interstate Operating Authority numbers and it was free.

He checked over my whole truck and I was glad to see he didn't notice my EGR system was capped and my DPF was long gone.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I didn't think I needed USDOT numbers since I was only doing intrastate driving and was not for hire like a hot shot type guy. I've driven to the Houston area from Austin a half dozen times and down through San Antonio a bunch of times and have never had any issues. I've hauled both my triple axle gooseneck and my 20' dump in Austin too many times to count.

Today my number came up and I was pulled over be APD Weights and Measures. The guy told me I had to get a Interstate Operating Authority number that was basically like creating an account that keeps track of my companies driving record. It was a quick online registration for my DOT/Interstate Operating Authority numbers and it was free.

He checked over my whole truck and I was glad to see he didn't notice my EGR system was capped and my DPF was long gone.
The USDOT process is now more in depth then I thought it would be and the Weights & Meaures officer as well. I had to sign up for an annual drug testing program ($185), I need to change the registration on my truck so it only says my company name and not my own, my insurance had to be changed from the Hartford (no over 26K coverage) for auto to Progressive, and my insurance went up by $1000 a year and my coverage went from $500K to $750K.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Gotta love the red tape
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What the spouts on the gas cans? All the ones i have tried seem to leak after about a month and end up causing more damaged then they claim to prevent.

Nice enclosed trailer btw, I am hoping to get mine set up this year....hopefully you don;t mind if I steal a few ideas.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
What the spouts on the gas cans? All the ones i have tried seem to leak after about a month and end up causing more damaged then they claim to prevent.

Nice enclosed trailer btw, I am hoping to get mine set up this year....hopefully you don;t mind if I steal a few ideas.
The cans are No Spill cans. They have great customer support. If any of the spouts have issues they will usually send you a new one for free. Setting up an enclosed trailer takes a lot of time to do it right. You really have to think outside the box to customize it best to suit your needs. Most people have wasteful setups that cost them money in lost labor. The Extreme string trimmer rack is a must have item.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have your cdl?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Do you have your cdl?
I've had my CDL for about 1 1/2 years. I just filed my TX motor carrier application (Cab Card) today to take care of the last issue I had to rectify. I hope to get my Cab Card in the next few days.

I really should have had a CDL since about 2004. My 21' triple axle trailer was underrated and on paper had me out of CDL territory but the reality was I was grossing 30K many times. For some reason Weights and Measures doesn't pay much attention to triple single axle setups. I didn't realize until I purchased my 20' Dump trailer that I was going to have to get a CDL.

I didn't realize from the start that I needed CDL test, medical card, medical eye sight waiver, DOT numbers, cab card, drug testing program, and the fee's would be around $500. My insurance per year went up by $700 as well.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Houston OHBA Summit

I'm heading to Houston this Saturday to go to an organics seminar. I do not plan becoming a hard core tree huger but want to see what useful info I can get that will help my business.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Top Dressing

Just started top dressing yards for the season. I have 39 to do so far. The lawn in the picture was 27,000 sq. ft. and was $2013 to top dress. I had 13.5 yards (24,152 lbs.) of material in my trailer at 66.26 lbs. per cubic foot. That put my trailer at 32,152 pounds. With my truck that's a GCWR of 40,152. I've hauled as much as 16 yards but the material had a lower moisture content and weighted less.

Here's my formula for calculating the pounds per yard. Take a five gallon bucket and fill it to the top. Divide the weight by 1330. Take that number and multiply it by by 1744 which is your weight per cubic foot. Then multiply it by 27.
Attached Images