Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did anyone see the episode of Undercover Boss last year when the CEO of The Grounds Guys parent company (The Dwyer Group) worked with their crew?

I don't remember much of it, she worked on a mowing and landscape crew and I think she did a decent job.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://jmbrowningloggingandtrucking....ess/letter.htm Read jmbrowning's letter where he speaks about being on Ax men. He clearing points out the direction he wanted to see the show and his disappointment in how bad it was and how they focused on the little stuff and missed the real story. Other fact he says they were never paid wow no way id have them mocking my children on national tv and not get paid on top of it.

Swamp loggers was awesome sadly they seemed to have canceled it. Where it was great was where ax men deadliest catch and all the storage wars and shipping wars ice road truckers fall short. It focused on one company it was not a competition it was life and what hardships were and could make your worse day ever seem mild when you saw what a bad day really was. There was no gay animations with traps or guide wires crushing employees or cutting them in half there as no ridiculous fake drama with fist fights on the job site no re tard ed screams in the gay animations when the workers perished.

If they did a show more than likely it would be one company vs another and we would all get to see the Lawn Count and personally I feel the others nailed it. They would go out of their way to make us look ridiculous to sell the show.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps_lawn&landscaping View Post
I know there isn't one. I always joke with my wife about it because they have every reality show you can think of. Maybe one day "lawn wars" ha
I remember "King of Dirt" on DIY network. It was probably the closest you can get to a landscape related reality show. It was kinda cheesy though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Did anyone see the episode of Undercover Boss last year when the CEO of The Grounds Guys parent company (The Dwyer Group) worked with their crew?

I don't remember much of it, she worked on a mowing and landscape crew and I think she did a decent job.
Yup, she set the kid she worked with up with a free franchise and a brand new pickup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wasnt there one years ago on guys that had a tree service? they acted like a bunch of idots on there bobcats! i think it got alot of complaints and was cancelled
1 2007 Toro 40'' Walkbehind
1 2007 Walker 48'' GHS
2 Toro Proline 21'' mowers
06 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500
4 STIHL BR 600 BLOWERS
8 Shindaiwa 230 and 242's
Echo Chainsaws
Shindaiwa Edgers and Hedgetrimmers
2008 Ford F150
2009 DODGE 2500 CUMMINS 4X4
BOSS PLOW
PJ Dump Trailer
22ft. Lawn Trailer
18ft. Equipment Trailer
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitylawnpro View Post
wasnt there one years ago on guys that had a tree service? they acted like a bunch of idots on there bobcats! i think it got alot of complaints and was cancelled
That would be "Nosak Raw" It was based here in Tulsa and there obviously were a number of things that the network showed that made them look like idiots. Not that they didn't provide the "raw" material for it...lol. Plus there's only so much you can do on TV (reality TV) before OSHA comes and has a chat with you!

I remember an episode where they lifted a crown of a tree off the base and stood the crane truck up on its back wheels with the front wheels off the ground by 10 or 12 feet.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, most "reality" shows are way too scripted. They try to make everything suspenseful, so would probably try to portray landscaping as highly dangerous or something.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndr_lawn_care View Post
Unfortunately, most "reality" shows are way too scripted. They try to make everything suspenseful, so would probably try to portray landscaping as highly dangerous or something.
I agree they must add the drama element, if they weren't scripted they'd be boring and off the air in no time.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They would film you reaching out to move a branch as you mowed and edit it to look like you got seriously hurt and knocked off the mower and then go to commercial. You would then come back after the break to find your fine and nothing happened and then they would need the next bit of drama. Perhaps an argument in the truck as your driving followed by a rapid movement of the camera to make it look like a multi car pile up on your rig that you need to get the lawn count for the week to stay on top as king of the lawns
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why is it that they can't show a well run operation that results in a properly cared for and maintained property that gives credit to the guys that are doing the work. Maybe even a show that showcases different companies each week. They DIY shows on LGTV show what can be done well...even if they do have the "deadline" drama.