Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laman View Post
E85 is 85 percent alcohol. No small engine that I know can run this much alcohol...
This much is true.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laman View Post
E85 is 85 percent alcohol. No small engine that I know can run this much alcohol...
You missed the point I was trying to make concerning the B3C Ethanol Shield product. If adding that to a blower tank of E85 and 2 cycle oil can keep the blower running well beyond 3 tanks, then it's going to do just as equal a wonder when used with E10 or heaven forbid even E15. Of course this was done under test conditions with a new blower which require the carburetor be adjusted to even run that ratio, but it still shows the product works. Without the addition of the Ethanol Shield using E85, the oil won't even fully mix with the "fuel" in the tank and you end up burning up the engine in much shorter time due to lack of oil (since the oil is only able to mix with the 15% of gas that remains in an E85 blend).
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems to me that the logical thing to do is make one's fuel mix richer than usual when using E10. My equipment is labelled to use a 50:1 gas/oil ratio, but I may want to step it up to 40:1.....yes?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
It seems to me that the logical thing to do is make one's fuel mix richer than usual when using E10. My equipment is labelled to use a 50:1 gas/oil ratio, but I may want to step it up to 40:1.....yes?
Why would you want to do that? Without using, for lack of a better word, an emulsifier, like Ethanol Shield to create a bond between the ethanol in the fuel and the 2 cycle oil, your mix is still going to be running up to 10% of the contents through your 2 cycle engine without any oil. I mean, you can do what you want, it's your equipment to protect or ruin, it's up to you. Oil will NOT bond/mix with ethanol alcohol without an additive to induce it, so you're still going to have no oil mixed with the portion of the fuel in your tank that is the ethanol. Adding more oil is just going to increase the oil mixing with the gas portion and muck up your system.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Why would you want to do that? Without using, for lack of a better word, an emulsifier, like Ethanol Shield to create a bond between the ethanol in the fuel and the 2 cycle oil, your mix is still going to be running up to 10% of the contents through your 2 cycle engine without any oil. I mean, you can do what you want, it's your equipment to protect or ruin, it's up to you. Oil will NOT bond/mix with ethanol alcohol without an additive to induce it, so you're still going to have no oil mixed with the portion of the fuel in your tank that is the ethanol. Adding more oil is just going to increase the oil mixing with the gas portion and muck up your system.
Look, no need to be rude...it's not like I knew oil would not mix with ethanol.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Look, no need to be rude...it's not like I knew oil would not mix with ethanol.
i told you in my post 6 hours before your post stating the logical thing would be to start using 40:1 instead of 50:1. I wasn't being "rude", I simply was unaware that you did not read the newest post in the thread before posting yours.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
i told you in my post 6 hours before your post stating the logical thing would be to start using 40:1 instead of 50:1. I wasn't being "rude", I simply was unaware that you did not read the newest post in the thread before posting yours.
Then, hey....it's cool.