Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How did you find your best help...? Networking, friends, ads....?

Where do you find top notch part time employees...? Not trying to offend but I will flat out admit that this industry doesn't attract the the best candidates for employees.

Okay... this is what I have in mind. Typically the class and cut of the type of person I'd want to hire....is already hired. And hired full-time.

Has anyone had success with having say 2-3 part-time employees who have full-time jobs who just want to work for extra $ here and there? This way at least one person is available to pitch hit when help is needed...?

I'm really not sure how in today's world ...how much advance notice employers give their FT workers these days...? I'm assuming I'd be trying to attract those who work in retail, customer service and waiters and waitresses. Who don't mind working outdoors a few extra hours per week.

I'm looking for clean cut, presentable people with solid customer service skills who can pass a background check.

In order to weed out candidates sight unseen can one require a color photo copy of drivers license?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Where do you find top notch part time employees...? Not trying to offend but I will flat out admit that this industry doesn't attract the the best candidates for employees.

Okay... this is what I have in mind. Typically the class and cut of the type of person I'd want to hire....is already hired. And hired full-time.

Has anyone had success with having say 2-3 part-time employees who have full-time jobs who just want to work for extra $ here and there? This way at least one person is available to pitch hit when help is needed...?

I'm really not sure how in today's world ...how much advance notice employers give their FT workers these days...? I'm assuming I'd be trying to attract those who work in retail, customer service and waiters and waitresses. Who don't mind working outdoors a few extra hours per week.

I'm looking for clean cut, presentable people with solid customer service skills who can pass a background check.

In order to weed out candidates sight unseen can one require a color photo copy of drivers license?
Posted via Mobile Device
we do have 2 part time workers. they come when we need them.
they both work locally.
they both work only part time for there other job.
i don't believe you can require a DL first sight unseen.
you could put in your add they must pass a background check

www.zawadzkilandscaping.com
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've used part time help twice before. It worked well in one situation and not so well before. The part time worker that worked out good would come in at 3pm and I had a truck and prunning lined up for him. He was trust worthy and would accomplish a good amount of work before stopping for the evening.

Another part time worker I had, would come in after his job at a grocery store. Sometimes he would be late and sometimes he couldn't work (probadly just wanted the evening off). I would always have to meet him at the shop and he couldn't work unsupervised. That was not productive for me.

I need fulltime people who can get a schedule and brief in the morning and go to work all day on a crew of two.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you want to "weed out sight unseen"? (NTM a PICTURE of them IS sight) You will be losing some of your best potential if you judge people on their looks. Yes you want clean cut for image but this is not the right way to do it.

Also, your best employees will be found with lots of hard work on your part weeding through many applicants. There is no "one place' to find all the good people. If there was, everyone would go there

There are new people entering the job market every day for infinite reasons, not all bad. Don't fool yourself into thinking people won't work for you because "they are all gone" people will move jobs if they have incentive usually most monetarily.

No idea what you are paying but, remember the old idiom "if you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys"
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My son. I trained him to work the way that I want him to work.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
My son. I trained him to work the way that I want him to work.
Same here. I've got my son working and he does an excellent job. My other son is in college and works the summers and he does an excellent job. I have another worker who does a good job. I need a few more workers and can't have anymore children so I'm in the hunt now.