Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it me? Am I the jerk?

Hey Fellas,

So I gotta put this out and I am open to all comments. I have been on this site & other sites that many of you belong to, so I feel good about the responses I will get......here goes.....

I do not live in a neighborhood, but on a flag lot behind 2 homes off a back, windy road....no other place I'd rather live. It's quiet and the side of my property is wooded and dark at night. I have a gravel driveway that runs perpendicular to the common lane that connect the other homes to the road...as I said, its a flag lot. So here's my *****.......

You need to back out of my driveway and do a 3 point turn to get to the common drive. The neighbor across from me even has an asphalt turn around to make this easier for people to turn around. There are a handful of people, mainly my wives friends, that do a short 3 point turn and cut across my lawn and cut the corner by about 8 feet. Now once in a while, no big deal, but I am starting to notice that the edge of the lawn/gravel is getting compacted & muddy. I politely remind people that there is a turn around when they leave. My wife made a joke that I am turning into "that guy"!

Here's what really irritates me....I OWN A LANDSCAPE COMPANY....PEOPLE PAY ME GOOD MONEY TO MAKE SURE THERE LAWNS/PROPERTIES LOOK THEIR BEST AT ALL TIMES. WHY THE *&$# WOULD YOU THINK IT IS OK TO DRIVE ON MY LAWN WHEN IT HAS BEEN RAINING FOR 2 DAYS?!?

My one wife's friend works in a Burn Unit. I told my wife that her friend driving on my lawn is like me waiting outside the burn unit & throwing battery acid on a patient on there way out after a therapy session!!

Sorry for the rant, but I have had to politely ask 4 people to try and avoid the lawn multiple time...but it does not sink in.

Again...I just needed to vent....Time's Yours....
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would pave a larger area to help people out. You'll turn gray worrying about it. Save yourself the pain.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm "that guy" as we'll man so don't worry about it. I'm having issues with 5 neighborhood kids that get off the bus and walk directly across my front lawn to head up the street. I have a corner lot and the way the bus stops makes it convenient for them to trample my lawn instead of taking the sidewalk on the other side of the street. Go figure, that's the most troubled spot in my lawn now.

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 01-30-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nah your alright, check to see if there's something else you can do, don't let it eat you up.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I think I would pave a larger area to help people out. You'll turn gray worrying about it. Save yourself the pain.
Russell, there really isn't much more to do...it's literally that easy. I think some people are just that lazy. If I were going to spend time and money to make the area bigger I would rather wet lay Belgium blocks on the curve or a planting bed with boulders.

I should post a picture or 2 so you can see the area. My fear is that if the area gets too compacted and starts to get muddy that everyone will think its OK to drive over the corner and it will just get worse And I have a nice lawn and spend a lot of time & money to make sure it looks that way.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Put a boulder on the corner. I bet they only cut that corner one more time...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Not far from doing that. Although I mow and trim around those and its a pain. I'll most likely incorporate those into a planting bed.

Watch how many people drive across the lawn on the inside of the planting bed....
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

LOL @ the boulder. My money is that landdesign or his wife would be the first ones to bend a bumper on it. I still recommend keeping peace and find a way to accommodate visitors (even if it seems a waste of time).
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd put up something really decorative and really expensive looking. Something their insurance would have to shell out big time to replace.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
i agree, if they cant drive, it is their own fault.

i am def that guy!

i have a very narrow drive where you cant turn at the end backing out until you are almost all the way out and still going straight. everyone cuts off early and messes up the corners . i always preach about how to back out so as to warn folks.

and i dont really care if i am that guy