Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bagging Grass

One of my problems is that the other lawn care companies in my area all bag their grass when it's unnecessary. It causes all the home owners to feel it's a must, and think mulching and side discharging is awful. I can understand when the grass is super tall, but it isn't necessary a majority of the time. I don't want to have to charge people for the effort and time of bagging, dumping, and getting rid of the grass. This whole issue is quite bothersome.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Office Work

What kind of office/paper work do you perform after a day's work- or or that you have hired someone to complete?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The weather is my most common problem. Oh, I need to mow 17 yards in one day? Mother nature dumps 2" of rain the night before

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People calling and either, asking what the minimum price is for mowing and usually they hang up as soon as I get a number out. Or, someone calling on a Sunday and wanting a price for mowing that day of their sh!tty lawn because they're having a party or w.e. I just hate people/calls for one time cuts!!
I hate to single out a group of individuals, but people from India, in my experience they nit pick and are extremely cheap with everything & they want a price breakdown with materials & labor separated. Sorry, that's not how it works!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Yea I usually go off on the ones that think they set the price of my service, I own this damn company and I tell you what the price is not the other way around. This is more and more common for some reason, and I'm in small claims court nowhere more and more I am not afraid to put a lein on your house and I let them know that along with a lawsuit.I have a lawyer that isn't afraid either, you HAVE to present yourself as a true professional not a guy with a mower, you have to have REAL service agreements with REAL letterheads, or people won't take you seriously.
I agree with this. I have a now former fat b@stard client (normally deal with his wife, whom is not much of a catch either) and hes been complaining multiple times a month about the snow bill and the minor turf damage and even claimed "he isnt paying the bill because there hasnt been enough snow", 4 pushes in one month, 3 on a 13" storm (contract states there may be more than 1 visit) and 1 on 2". Whenever he calls me he tries to boss me around because I'm young (21) and it nvr works because I'm not afraid to drop the gloves so to speak , but with what CPL stated, you have to be able to present & defend your company as any other business would and have a good lawyer. Speaking of which, that guy called me earlier tonight, he'll have a nice wake up call at 8 tmrw morning when I'm on my way to school.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
The days and weeks are just not long enough
I refuse to work on Sundays

PITA customers- I weed them out
Customers who don't pay- i weed them out
I don't go after low-end work
I have had the dog crap splatter while trimming-not fun
LONG DAYS at work, then more work when you get home (sharpen blades, fill sprayers, fill spray tank, cleanout truck, wrapup paper work. return phone calls, maybe head out on an estimate.)

but all in all, i love this work-that's why I do it. I am striving to build a very reputable company with systems that work and produce good growth. If there is a major problem you have to find a way to solve it. Also, attitude determines Altitude.
Couldn't agree more with the bolded statement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
People calling and either, asking what the minimum price is for mowing and usually they hang up as soon as I get a number out. Or, someone calling on a Sunday and wanting a price for mowing that day of their sh!tty lawn because they're having a party or w.e. I just hate people/calls for one time cuts!!
I hate to single out a group of individuals, but people from India, in my experience they nit pick and are extremely cheap with everything & they want a price breakdown with materials & labor separated. Sorry, that's not how it works!
Posted via Mobile Device
Next time, tell them to get a breakdown from their barber when they get their next haircut. People don't think twice about paying $15 for a 15 minute haircut, but balk at $35 to cut their grass. How much would their barber charge to come to their house for the same haircut?
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndr_lawn_care View Post
Next time, tell them to get a breakdown from their barber when they get their next haircut. People don't think twice about paying $15 for a 15 minute haircut, but balk at $35 to cut their grass. How much would their barber charge to come to their house for the same haircut?
That is a good point. Usually with the ones that want separate prices its on installs though. But its the same principle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tri city I'm with you! same here!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finding people who "will work for food" or hiring Illegal Immigrants .... they are hard to find and both are probably better than the employee's who demand $12.00 an hour and are not worth 2 cents! You know, the guy always on his cell phone, calling off sick, or got a emergency every time you rely on him!

When you are at the point where you need to hire employee's .... you business is already on the downward spiral!

Joking of course, but employee's have been my biggest problem since the day I hired one!

Tags
invoicing , problems , routing , software